How to make a PCB smaller?

idoit

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have a PCB (attached below) from a ThinkPad X230 Tablet. When looking at the image attached below, the PCB up top is for controlling tablet rotation and LEDs etc. I want to make this PCB smaller, similar in size to the one below it. I was wondering what steps are involved? Thank you!

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Why do you want to do this? What is the utility? It’s hard to understand what you mean since there are three tactile switches and a connector at specific spots.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
A) Get or draw a schematic

B) Obtain samaples of all of the needed components - have your calipers ready.

C) Draw the outline of the new board, indicating the necessary locations of various features - location of the tact switches including height above the board, board thickness, mounting holes, connector, etc.

D) Sketch the copper routing and when you are happy with it, transfer it to a CAD system so you can produce the necessary Gerber files so you can have the board made.

idoit

Joined Oct 20, 2015
Hi and thank you for all the replies. The motivation for this is simply fitting in a tighter spot. The PCB up top would not fit and I need to make it similar size as the PCB on the bottom.