How to learn the ropes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I can't help but notice your source is around 20% (as a minimum) more expensive, I use Amazon myself.
Bill, you have a talent for micronstrual. I didn't recommend shopping there. It's the website of the manufacturer of the kits that Amazon and everyone else sells. It's just easier to see all models and compare features on one site with one link rather than chasing your tail all over the internet.

By the way, there's no disagreement. I believe the larger lab kits are perfect for any 10-year old prodigy who knows he's going to be an engineer. I just think that demographic is the minority kit purchaser.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I admit I don't know much about even basic components and designing circuits, but it's something I really want to learn how to do. I am wondering where will I find the most leverage to become at least competent? In other words, what should I spend my time doing?
If you want to get good at building basic things then jump right in and start building basic things!

As far as the math goes spend *1 hour* and learn ohms law inside out. That 1 hour of math will do you for the next few months of building things. ;)

Then buy a soldering iron, you can get small temperature controlled irons for $20 or better soldering stations for $40 to $60. A simple multimeter and some other tools as you expect (I guess you might already own some of this stuff?)

Then I would buy some simple kits. The beneft of kits is the ready made PCB giving you a very high chance of success even with zero skill (compared to breadboarding or other DIY methods) and after success you have a permanent working device. The kits also have proven designs and schematics, good descriptions of operation etc etc all condusive to learning.

You can get some great little kits that will be educational in themselves and also be useful equipment later;
variable DC power supply
transistor tester
small audio amp
tone generator
(etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.