How to learn complex topics like artificial intelligence, deep learning, etc?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
I am studying AI for college exam. https://www.ioenotes.edu.np/ioe-syllabus/ioe-syllabus-artificial-intelligence-ai-378

The thing is here I am totally on my own as I don't have teacher due to some random reason. Even if I had, they were worst so it doesn't matter I have teacher or not.

I have noticed that I lack the mental capability to learn these concepts. I am guy who loves numericals ie solve everything using mathematics. But IDK why, I find it hard to comprehend. It is really taking a toll to my education. How do I level up my brain and make it ready to study these complex topics easily.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
My learning method is this. I am bad with reading books but good with videos and slides. PS there are 0 books about artificial intelligence that is related to my examination questions... I go to google then I type what I want to learn(I breakdown what I want to learn in questions that are asked in previous years and my syllabus-I manage them) then i read slides. If I get good and well written slides I understand it. If I don't get them, I don't understand it. SO there is a huge issue of slide dependencia...as you can see it.

Asinus

Joined Oct 30, 2021
"How do I level up my brain and make it ready to study these complex topics easily."

My advice is to watch a structured course from a leading university. It will help you with understanding how the subject is organised. Fortunately, many filmed lectures are free (e.g., MIT OpenCourseWare). Stanford's CS229 by Andrew Ng (available on YouTube) is an excellent introductory course. However, it may be hard to find a lecture that follows your syllabus.

To follow the courses, you need math fluency (multivariate calculus, linear algebra, probability). Unfortunately, you cannot learn these subjects online. Fluency requires a lot of practice, so reading and watching are not enough.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
"How do I level up my brain and make it ready to study these complex topics easily."

My advice is to watch a structured course from a leading university. It will help you with understanding how the subject is organised. Fortunately, many filmed lectures are free (e.g., MIT OpenCourseWare). Stanford's CS229 by Andrew Ng (available on YouTube) is an excellent introductory course. However, it may be hard to find a lecture that follows your syllabus.

To follow the courses, you need math fluency (multivariate calculus, linear algebra, probability). Unfortunately, you cannot learn these subjects online. Fluency requires a lot of practice, so reading and watching are not enough.
there are also sth called nptel courses. problem is they are at too high level that I don't understand a single word taught in those videos.

Asinus

Joined Oct 30, 2021
"there are also sth called nptel courses. problem is they are at too high level that I don't understand a single word taught in those videos."

It would help if you learned basic things first. Without them, everything is "an enigma wrapped in a mystery". Basic knowledge often seems useless at first, but it is indispensable to master more practical subjects in engineering or science. Take advantage of the fact that you are good at math. Math and abstract thinking are significant obstacles for most people.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
"there are also sth called nptel courses. problem is they are at too high level that I don't understand a single word taught in those videos."

It would help if you learned basic things first. Without them, everything is "an enigma wrapped in a mystery". Basic knowledge often seems useless at first, but it is indispensable to master more practical subjects in engineering or science. Take advantage of the fact that you are good at math. Math and abstract thinking are significant obstacles for most people.
Even if I know the basics, I don't understand a single thing taught in those videos. They make simple stuffs complicated and that is imo only works for students in IITs. Doesn't work for tier 2 tier 3 college students. Same for coursera, I don't understand anything taught there. Same for MIT as well. I have decent basics. IDK what is even basics. I passed many engineering coursess successfully.

Asinus

Joined Oct 30, 2021
Many bad lecturers make simple stuff complicated. But there are also good lecturers out there. For example, I binge-watched Stanford's CS229 with my wife during lockdowns. She hates programming because she finds it mechanical and uninspiring. Yet she found the course easy to follow and understand (and quite interesting). She has an excellent background in advanced math, though.

I understand that things look a little different when you are a student. It is a shame that your college left you without any assistance.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
Many bad lecturers make simple stuff complicated. But there are also good lecturers out there. For example, I binge-watched Stanford's CS229 with my wife during lockdowns. She hates programming because she finds it mechanical and uninspiring. Yet she found the course easy to follow and understand (and quite interesting). She has an excellent background in advanced math, though.

I understand that things look a little different when you are a student. It is a shame that your college left you without any assistance.
don't even talk about college bro. I am totally regretting joining college/uni in Nepal. Worthless, waste of time. I can write 10000 words essay about that and have already done that in lots of reddit posts lol.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
Hi tera,
So, what learning method/technique did you use for those courses that proved successful.?

E
watching youtube videos and learn during my first 3 years. it worked as there were tons of videos. currently what I do is collect 50 slides and learn from each of them and finally merge the knowledge together. it is time consuming but works and better than watching stanford lectures or nptel lectures imo they don't explain anything while teaching, i look hell lost when i watch those nptel, mit, coursera, stanford lectures. may be because our syllabus is designed differently idk.