How to know that which electronic circuitry requires which electronic components

bobparihar

Joined Jul 31, 2014
I am doing college projects of embedded system.

i am at beginner level in hardware, at some stage of hardware implementation i used to download the circuit diagram of a particular project.

but i don't know why a particular grading of transistor or diode is used with the circuitry i just copy it.

how to know why a particular diode or transistor or MOSFET etc is used in a particular circuitry.

how to know these kind of basics?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You will waste money if you try to make something you do not understand.

shteii01 did not gave you any Idea. I second what shteii01 said.

It seems you need to know the theory on how to chose components before downloading a circuit and try to make it right on the first try.

elabsp

Joined Oct 23, 2013
It seems you need to know the theory on how to chose components before downloading a circuit and try to make it right on the first try.
Correct, you have to learn at least basics of electronics first before doing any implementation. Then after that you will able to learn with practical experience

bobparihar

Joined Jul 31, 2014
Correct, you have to learn at least basics of electronics first before doing any implementation. Then after that you will able to learn with practical experience
at least give me some link of sites where i should learn or any type of study material or book u suggest me

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
at least give me some link of sites where i should learn or any type of study material or book u suggest me
As far as websites one very good one I know of is here.

They even have a forum to ask specific questions.

Do note that if you ask something akin to "how do I become a doctor" the best answers will be "go to doctor school."

Do expect some fun to be had at your expense for asking such a general question.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Invest in a copy of "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill. It's getting a little long in the tooth, but is still, IMHO, the go-to bible of basic electronics -- and it will take you almost as far as you want to go.

The nice thing about the book is it gives you good theory and practical examples, as well as ways *not to do things* -- more important, IMHO, than ways to do things.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
the idea u have suggested will waste my money and time
Basically you are right.

However, this approach of testing and observing result is also the root of Scientific Method.

Let us examine a practical application.
We have a bright how power LED. This LED has following parameters:
* Forward voltage of 10 volts.
* Current of 100 mA (0.1 amperes).
We also have a 24 volt power supply.
Now, we don't want to burn the LED (we probably did it before this attempt and already observed the blue-ish smoke). So. We will use a current limiting resistor.
R=(24-10)/(0.1)=140 Ohm
We take this 140 Ohm resistor and put it in series with the LED. AND we see blue-ish smoke first from the resistor. Hopefully the resistor burned through and created open circuit that saved our LED.
What happened?
Well... let us examine the resistor. We have resistor in series with led, the voltage across this group is 24 volts. We know that voltage across the LED is 10 volts. That means that the voltage across resistor is 24-10=14 volts. Now, the resistor is in series with LED, that means that the same 100 mA that goes though the LED also goes through resistor. This means that current through resistor is 100 mA (0.1 A).
What is the power dissipated in the resistor?
Power=14 volts * 0.1 amperes=1.4 Watts
Now go back up. Did you see me derive 140 Ohm value of the resistor? Yes, you did.
Did you see me say how much power the resistor needs to handle?
No, you did not.
So.
Why did resistor go up in blue-ish smoke?
It did go up in blue-ish smoke because we grabbed a chip resistor that we can buy for pittance and this resistor can handle 0.25 Watts (¼ Watts). By applying voltage and current to the resistor we in fact applied 1.4 Watts which is 5.6 times more power than what resistor is designed to handle. Therefore the poor little helpless and clueless resistor burned up and produced the blue-ish smoke.
End of story.

bobparihar

Joined Jul 31, 2014
How are you doing a "College Project" outside your area of study?
Which is the college that permits this?

Or are you planning to do projects for others on a turnkey basis?

I just cramme the circuit diagram. any project it would be i know about 40-50% of the basics that why a component is there.. but not all of it. and also i am somewhat good at software level of a project

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Basically you are right.

However, this approach of testing and observing result is also the root of Scientific Method.

Let us examine a practical application.
We have a bright how power LED. This LED has following parameters:
* Forward voltage of 10 volts.
* Current of 100 mA (0.1 amperes).
We also have a 24 volt power supply.
Now, we don't want to burn the LED (we probably did it before this attempt and already observed the blue-ish smoke). So. We will use a current limiting resistor.
R=(24-10)/(0.1)=140 Ohm
We take this 140 Ohm resistor and put it in series with the LED. AND we see blue-ish smoke first from the resistor. Hopefully the resistor burned through and created open circuit that saved our LED.
What happened?
Well... let us examine the resistor. We have resistor in series with led, the voltage across this group is 24 volts. We know that voltage across the LED is 10 volts. That means that the voltage across resistor is 24-10=14 volts. Now, the resistor is in series with LED, that means that the same 100 mA that goes though the LED also goes through resistor. This means that current through resistor is 100 mA (0.1 A).
What is the power dissipated in the resistor?
Power=14 volts * 0.1 amperes=1.4 Watts
Now go back up. Did you see me derive 140 Ohm value of the resistor? Yes, you did.
Did you see me say how much power the resistor needs to handle?
No, you did not.
So.
Why did resistor go up in blue-ish smoke?
It did go up in blue-ish smoke because we grabbed a chip resistor that we can buy for pittance and this resistor can handle 0.25 Watts (¼ Watts). By applying voltage and current to the resistor we in fact applied 1.4 Watts which is 5.6 times more power than what resistor is designed to handle. Therefore the poor little helpless and clueless resistor burned up and produced the blue-ish smoke.
End of story.
Yep. Every child learns that "Fire" burns after getting burnt :D Thank God the op is not into ballistics :rolleyes: