How to interpret an audio jack schematic?

Younes Thabet

Joined Jan 9, 2019
Hello all,

I have the attached datasheet for an audio D/A converter (CS43L22) which have stereo headphone out/line out.
I couldn't understand fully the audio jack schematic in the typical connection diagram, specially the difference between the highlighted elements!?

can someone explain the difference between the 2 triangles (highlighted in green and red boxes) !?
and if anyone has a component in mind that represents this schematic (has both headphone jack and line out), please share!

Regards,

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello all,

I have the attached datasheet for an audio D/A converter (CS43L22) which have stereo headphone out/line out.
I couldn't understand fully the audio jack schematic in the typical connection diagram, specially the difference between the highlighted elements!?

can someone explain the difference between the 2 triangles (highlighted in green and red boxes) !?
and if anyone has a component in mind that represents this schematic (has both headphone jack and line out), please share!

Regards,
Those are "normals" as they are called in the audio world. Think of them as normally closed switches. The plug is the actuator, when it is plugged in, it mechanically displaces the contacts. The upper triangle breaks the normal to the line out jack left channel and the lower one operates a switch to change the mode from speaker to headphone.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The small black arrows are electrical contacts.
The circuit is drawn as if no headphone plug is inserted into the jack.

When no headphone is inserted HP/LINE_OUTA and HP/LINE_OUTB are routed to Line Level Out Left & Right.
SPKR/HP sense input is pulled up to +1.8V to +2.5V via the 47kΩ pullup resistor to indicate that the headphone is not being used.

When the headphone is inserted, HP/LINE_OUTA and HP/LINE_OUTB are disconnected from Line Level Out and drives the Headphone Out Left & Right only.

The large plain triangle is a non-conducting tab that switches SPKR/HP sense input to COMMON GND to indicate that the headphone is being used.

headphone jack.jpg