How to identify this IC?

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hi,

I have an electronic board which doesn't work. It has a 7805 regulator which works well. That regulator is connected to an IC which has the mark "1020". The IC 1020 is SOIC-8 package. Pins from 1 to 4 are connected to 7805 output, and pins 5-8 are connected to the VCC of some TTLs IC.

When I measure voltage between VCC and GND in the TTLs IC, I don't get any voltage. So I think that the IC 1020 could be faulty because TTLs Vcc depends on this IC.

However, I don't know what kind of regulator is the 1020 because looking into the datasheet that I found (which I don't know if it's right), the 1020 is a Buck regulator. But I don't know why pins 1-4 are all shorted, and pins 4-8 as well.

I want to replace that IC, but I need to know exactly its function.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Link for the datasheet and a picture of the ICs would help. However, it doesn't sound like a buck regulator - you should see an inductor nearby.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
That mosfet ic is a switch that provides power from the regulator to the TTLs when a signal is applied to its pin 5. Think as being a relay. Power into pin 5 makes pins 1,2,3 connect to pins 5,6,7,8.
So probe pin 5 for its 'switch-on' command. Some microcontroller or circuit should be responsible for switching it on when certain conditions are met.

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
Yeah, mosfet. The clue is that it's labeled Q109. The voltage you are reading is because it's not turned on. Probably not part of the problem.