How To Find Burnt Resistor Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolerance

Joined Mar 18, 2009
Hi,

As a maintenance tech. I'm facing a problem of a burnt resistor, such burning that made the color bands fade out. so my question is :'How To Find Burnt Resistor Value'

Thanks

Mike Mandaville

Joined May 27, 2009
Hi,

As a maintenance tech. I'm facing a problem of a burnt resistor, such burning that made the color bands fade out. so my question is :'How To Find Burnt Resistor Value'

Thanks
I used to make my living as an electronics maintenance technician, and I never worked on any circuit for which I did not first acquire a schematic diagram. Therefore, my advice to you is to first acquire a schematic diagram, and then just look at the pretty picture.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In addition to the above, with experience, you can sometimes make a good guess as to the correct value. But that usually involves finding the reason for the component burning in the first place, so you will have made a partial schematic of the failed part of the circuit.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I used to make my living as an electronics maintenance technician, and I never worked on any circuit for which I did not first acquire a schematic diagram. Therefore, my advice to you is to first acquire a schematic diagram, and then just look at the pretty picture.
If you ALWAYS had a schematic for circuits you worked on, you truly have led a charmed life! In my job at a small industrial service company, a schematic is a real treat. Most of the equipment we see is composed of obsolete designs our customers want to keep running rather than spend capital money to replace. If we are luck, we may be able to get an interconnect drawing from the customer that will show how the board in hand is connected to outside circuitry. Manufacturers of industrial equipment have become very protective of their designs and information. Most respond to a request for a schematic with, "Send it to us. We'll fix it." Other companies that once freely distributed schematics with the purchase of their equipment no longer do so. The problem seems to have been on the rise as the once tech friendly companies are being bought up by larger companies. Larger companies have the luxury of going to a component manufacturer and saying, " I want to buy 10 million of your 74LS00 ic devices but I want you to ID them as XYZ-098." That pretty well defeats an attempt of repair outside the OEM affiliated shop.

Reverse engineering seems to be the order of the day.

Tolerance

Joined Mar 18, 2009
Thank your for your NO HELP.

Yes in ideal world this is the case and I knew it 20 years back, but please I asked a real life help, the day you face it, answer others questions, else, 'if have nothing to do, don't do it here' I know my ABC.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Interesting choice of username you selected.

Unfortunately, life is like that. in past years, we all had schematics to work off of. That eliminated the guesswork. Without such an aid, it is guesswork. There is no magical ritual you can perform to get the value of the resistor, any more than guidance to the failed component that caused the resistor to burn.

You work out the schematic from the circuit and, using experience, try to guess the value for the resistor - always assuming you have found and corrected the real problem.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I love the way you asked for help without providing ANY info re the size/look of the resistor, what appliance it was in, where it was in the circuit, what caused it to burn, or ANY other info that might have allowed the experienced repairers here to help you determine the value of the resistor. :(

Mike Mandaville

Joined May 27, 2009
Thank your for your NO HELP..
Tolerance, that should be "Thank _you_ for your NO HELP".

Yes in ideal world this is the case..
Tolerance, that should be 'in _an_ ideal world this is the case".

and I knew it 20 years back, but please I asked a real life help..
Tolerance, that should be "I asked a real life _question_"

, the day you face it, answer others questions.
Tolerance, I did answer your question. You just didn't appreciate it.

, , else, 'if have nothing to do, don't do it here' .
Tolerance, that should be "if _you_ have nothing to do, don't do it here".

, I know my ABC.
Wonderful. Now how about learning some BASIC ENGLISH, and some COURTESY as well.

Mike Mandaville
Austin, Texas

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The value of the resistor is dependent on the application.
In what part of the circuit is it used?
Why could it get burned?
A schematic would certainly help.

Greetings,
Bertus

Salgat

Joined Dec 23, 2006
Tolerance, that should be "Thank _you_ for your NO HELP".

Tolerance, that should be 'in _an_ ideal world this is the case".

Tolerance, that should be "I asked a real life _question_"

Tolerance, I did answer your question. You just didn't appreciate it.

Tolerance, that should be "if _you_ have nothing to do, don't do it here".

Wonderful. Now how about learning some BASIC ENGLISH, and some COURTESY as well.

Mike Mandaville
Austin, Texas
Sorry but your last comment of your first post was pretty rude/condescending.

Sorry but your last comment of your first post was pretty rude/condescending.
Sorry, but you have developed a misperception. Your speculation regarding my intention is outranked by the understanding that my answer fit the question. And that you can find something offensive about the word "pretty" says far more about you than it could ever say about me. Would you like to try again?

Zenock

Joined Jun 1, 2009
This is why I try to think three times before posting a response. Even then I have a tendency to screw things up. I can totally see where if I were Tolerance and I might have spent hours upon hours upon hours looking for a schematic and one just wasn't to be had (Don't know that he actually did this) then read Mike's response, my frustration level might go through the roof and I might become flustered while responding defensively and angrily.

I can also totally see how Mike might not have meant anything by it and it was a simple interpretation missunderstanding. Mike not understanding Tolerance's frustration might be frustrated by his defensiveness and ager and might react to that.

Now I'm not saying that this is what happend. I don't know why people do what they do or write what they write. When I read what they wrote even when I feel confident that I understand what they mean I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out I was wrong. But I do feel there is some tension here so if you are tense, remember that people are only trying to help and that your help is appreciated.

Z

If you ALWAYS had a schematic for circuits you worked on, you truly have led a charmed life!
Yes, I have spent many a charmed hour sweating under a hot high-intensity lamp with a magnifying glass pressed flat up against my face reverse-engineering a piece of equipment in order to acquire a schematic diagram, or, since beenthere has already introduced the more precise term, a partial-schematic. Been there, done that.

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
If you can get an identical board, you can determine the value of the resistor.
NOTE: To expect professional help, it would be appreciated if you provided some technical information, a photo of the component side and solder side of the CCA in question. Don't come in here and ask a vague question then get all uppidy when you don't get the answer you wanted. Many of us have years of experience and are gracious to offer troubleshooting tips online for free.

Engr Mick

Joined Jan 29, 2014
Hi,

Thanks
Below are 4 easy methods to find the value of burnt resistor...
How to find The value of Burnt Resistor ( By three handy Methods )

Method 1

1. Scarp the outer coating.
  2. Clean the Burnt Section of the resistor
  3. Measure resistance from one end of the resistor to the damaged section
  4. Again measure the resistance from damaged section to the other end of the resistor.
  5. This is the approximate value of Burn resistor
  6. Just add a small value of resistance for damaged section .i.e., suppose the value of burnt resistor was 1k Ω, but you got 970 Ω. So just add 30 Ω, and you will have 1k Ω.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Engr Micks method has worked for me in the past, it can get you close to required value but please scrape rather than scarp! :)

If you can give us a little more information about what you are working with it would help although I do appreciate manufacturers don't like to release schematics these days.

Forget the MAD comic character, he likes to use long words, presume your first language is English and that nothing ever gets done if a schematic isn't available and if as another new member I completely understand if you never come back! :(

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Congratulations, you have practiced the arcane art of necromancy, the revival of a long dead thread. Likely the OP (Original Poster) has solved his problem in the years that has passed, or thrown it away, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.