Resistor ID

rasteri

Joined Feb 5, 2009
Hey all,

I'm trying to repair a turntable (Numark TTX) that I can't find a service manual for. I'm a bit of an electronics newbie, so don't judge me harshly if these are stupid questions!

One of the obvious things wrong with it is a burned-out resistor - I think one of the power transistors for the motor has shorted and the resistor bore most of the damage. I'm having a hard time figuring out what value it is - possibly the heat from the short has burned off some of the markings, but see what you think. I'm thinking maybe 9Ω (black-white-black). Looking at the PCB, it seems to be going from the emitters of the transistors to ground.
(sorry for the awful pics)

Also, I need to replace the power transistors. The current ones are ROHM 2SD1889 & 2SB1340, which are discontinued. I was thinking replacing them with NTE2343 & NTE2344, which are (apparantly) basically identical. Sound reasonable?
Datasheets :
ROHM - http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/50/240459_DS.pdf
NTE - http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nte/NTE2343.pdf

Attachments

rasteri

Joined Feb 5, 2009
I'm not sure. A lot of the circuit is under the motor. what uses 3xNPN and 3xPNP power transistors, and drives a 3-coil stepper motor? (well, 12 coils, but I think they're wired together in groups of 4)

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
First, black-white-black is not 9 Ohms (its invalid).

if each transistor has one of these resistors on it then look for the value of the good ones.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
I think this resistor is used as a current sense to provide a feedback to the control circuit and keep the current at safe values. If it is the case it has to have a low resistance, somewhere between 1 and 10 ohms. Try a 10 ohm first to see what happens.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That resistor is toast. In my experience, red stripes generally burn black. It was probably a low value, though.

Do check all those transistors. The NTE's will probably do for replacements.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Carefully scrap the insulating material off along a straight line on the resistor body using a pen knife until you can see the spiral track of the resistive material.

Chances are you can still measure some resistance, using either end of the connection lead and a pointed pin, pricking at the spiral track.

Starts from one end and advance on each spiral track until you have found an open circuit. Record the resistance before this happens. Do the other end using the same method.

Add the resistance found in both cases and adds 10% more. This will give you the approximate resistance of the original resistor.

This method often works because resistor burns open in one spot only.

rasteri

Joined Feb 5, 2009
Thanks all for the great tips. Especially eblc1388 - what an inspired idea.

Unfortunately I accidently ordered 12 NTE2343s, not 6 of each as I thought, so looks like I have to wait another few days to see if this works.

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
Is it burned out open or just discolored? did you try to measure it? the darlington probably do use a low value . and why bother with the resistor if the darklington went sour?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Is it burned out open or just discolored? did you try to measure it?
Did you even bother to read what anyone else wrote?
the darlington probably do use a low value . and why bother with the resistor if the darklington went sour?
The Darlingtons were likely damaged when the motor shorted, and the resistor got fried.

Did you bother to look at the pictures of the resistor? One lead looks like it was burned right off.

If he doesn't replace the resistor with an equivalent value to the original, the motor will receive too much or too little current.

alim

Joined Dec 27, 2005
Hi , if you are sure that the second band is white, the first band has to orange, i.e. 39, if the third band is black it is 39 ohms