How to eliminate harmonics in operational amplifier circuit?

yuesu jin

Joined Aug 22, 2019
Hi all,
I made an amplifier circuit using LM675, the schematic diagram is
upload_2019-9-20_22-13-0.png
When the circuit is directly connected to oscilloscope. Signal is heavily distorted by harmonics. The input signal is 5Hz and 2Hz sin wave, Vcc=27V, Vee=0, but the output waveform is distorted like spike. More harmonics component, more distortion. What I want to know is that what is the cause of harmonic distortion in low frequency, and how to remove this distortion? Thanks a lot!!!!!
upload_2019-9-20_22-13-8.png
upload_2019-9-20_22-13-16.png

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hi all,
I made an amplifier circuit using LM675, the schematic diagram is
View attachment 186631
When the circuit is directly connected to oscilloscope. Signal is heavily distorted by harmonics. The input signal is 5Hz and 2Hz sin wave, Vcc=27V, Vee=0, but the output waveform is distorted like spike. More harmonics component, more distortion. What I want to know is that what is the cause of harmonic distortion in low frequency, and how to remove this distortion? Thanks a lot!!!!!
View attachment 186632
View attachment 186633
If you have no negative supply you need to bias it differently.
But somehow you show the output going below ground.
What is the input voltage?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Vee is the negative power input, you can find it on the schematic diagram. DC offset is 0v.
If Vee is zero volts (or ground) as I think you said in your post and the input goes below ground (0 volts offset) the op amp can't work on the negative 1/2 cycle of the input.
So you should make Vee minus 10 volts or so.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
What do you want your output to be?
Would it be OK if it were 4 volts pp at 10 volts?
Or do you want it to be 4 volts pp around ground?

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Yes, you need that Vee voltage. In additions, looking at the output waveform, I wonder if your Vcc supply has enough current capability.

yuesu jin

Joined Aug 22, 2019
That one is OK because the input is always above ground. Your input goes below ground.
Ah, I understand it, Vee is indispensable. Thanks a lot, I will add another battery for -Vee

That one is OK because the input is always above ground. Your input goes below ground.
But there is another question, why the output has negative part?

The amplifier with a single polarity supply needs to be designed to work with a single polarity supply, like this:
Thanks a lot, I understand how it should be! But how can I invert a positive power to negative, is there any circuit can do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Ah, I understand it, Vee is indispensable. Thanks a lot, I will add another battery for -Vee

But there is another question, why the output has negative part?

Thanks a lot, I understand how it should be! But how can I invert a positive power to negative, is there any circuit can do that?
I don't see any way for the voltage to go negative in your circuit.
Is the picture an actual scope trace or some type of simulation.
If it is scope. Is the scope DC coupled or AC?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Yes, Thank you Bertus. I see the quiescent current can exceed the ICL7660's rated capabilities. Not your every-day opamp.

Then there is Audioguru's alternate bias arrangement in post #11.