How to divide a DC signal into two DC signals

@vajra

Joined May 2, 2018
Assume one device working on 24V DC that gives the output of 24V DC Digital signal

How to divide a DC signal into two DC signals

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
What does the load for the DC signals look like ?

A schematic / block diagram of what you want to do.

Regards, Dana.

@vajra

Joined May 2, 2018
What does the load for the DC signals look like ?

A schematic / block diagram of what you want to do.

Regards, Dana.
assume we have two motors and one encoder. both motors are using only one encoder to get the position
upload_2019-5-22_23-32-4.png
It can be done by using wires but Is there any IC we can use for dividing the output of the encoder

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
How does that work! Two motors Using one encoder?
What is the application?
Normally stepper motors do not require an encoder for positioning.
Are you hoping to use the encoder output for the step signals? If so you would need a drive amplifier of some kind.
Max.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It can be done by using wires but Is there any IC we can use for dividing the output of the encoder
You are going to have to explain what you mean by dividing the signal. If you mean sending it to two places, as you stated, that can be done with wires. What do you expect the IC to do that would be different than that?

But then, you don't send a signal from an encoder to a motor. Nothing makes sense about this posting.

Bob

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
An encoder converts one type of signal to another. For example, a rotary encoder outputs an analog or digital value which relates to a relative position.

A stepper moves to a relative position.

The encoder output isn’t compatible with driving a stepper motor. Unless it’s a special type of encoder which you haven’t specified for us.

A stepper motor has multiple connections (depending on the type and you haven’t given us that information). There is a defined pattern and sequence which is applied to those inputs, to move the stepper motor one “step”. This requires a driver.

So! What encoder are you using? What stepper motor are you using? How are you driving the stepper motor?

Daniel Sala

Joined May 28, 2015
Hi,

Is this a need for isolation, is it? Fan-out might be a useful search parameter... I think you will need to share the 24V signal between two inputs, whatever you use as a go-between. A dual op amp configured as voltage followers to divide one in two out with high input impedance could be one option, depends on need or not for current at stepper input.

You would need to look for a suitable "high" voltage input and output buffer IC. That rules out the SN7407 hex buffer which is TTL in, 30V out, which also has possible inconvenience of being open collector output device; could get around TTL max. input voltage (5V) with a resistive divider. The ST L6374 looks fun but overkill for what you need. If a small voltage drop can be tolerated, what about 2 diodes connected together at the anode and encoder output with the cathodes fanned out to the motor inputs? :)

If it has to be one input which provides two outputs, happy searching, you would think there must be something out there (which doesn't only provide complementary positive and inverted outputs). Maybe PLC/industrial electronics stuff could be a place to look, or not, no idea - just a suggestion.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
assume we have two motors and one encoder. both motors are using only one encoder to get the position
It also looks like it might be using one encoder to position two steppers, rarely done as all that is needed is to use the same signal for each stepper driver, done many times in the DIY CNC fraternity, stepper systems position according to the amount of steps signals received which requires no encoder feedback.
Agree, Way more info needed.
Max.

Last edited:

@vajra

Joined May 2, 2018
I am using one encoder to position two devices I am looking IC has to be one input which provides two outputs

I searched 24V DC Buffer IC but I don't see any IC that take 24 V DC input and split into two 24V DC signals

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
An encoder will not drive a stepper motor directly. It needs to electronics to interface them. Tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to do so we can help you to do it.

Les.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your request makes no sense and I would suggest you reframe your request.
Tell us the big picture. Do not suggest your solution.

You have two stepper motors and one encoder.
What are you attempting to accomplish with the two motors?

@vajra

Joined May 2, 2018
An encoder will not drive a stepper motor directly. It needs to electronics to interface them. Tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to do so we can help you to do it.

Les.
I need encoder Splitter signal with isolation given here https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/encoder-splitters-8524148773.html

I don't understand what the logic of Splitter signal with isolation.

if we need to make simple encoder Splitter what would be required ?

How does encoder splitter work

@vajra

Joined May 2, 2018
Forget about an encoder splitter.
What are you trying to do with two motors?
sorry for confusen My question is about encoder splitter. I had taken an example of two motor's I am not doing anything with a motor

I want to undersatnd How does simple encoder splitter work?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am using one encoder to position two devices I am looking IC has to be one input which provides two outputs
As I already mentioned, using a encoder with stepper motors is rare, they are typically open loop servo's as the position can be obtained purely by using the required amount of steps.
In the case of two motors, they can be operated in sync with each other simply by feeding the identical number of steps to each motor driver.
To obtain two identical signals from one encoder, use a RS422/485 driver IC and parallel two transmitters.
Max.

Last edited: