how to detect direction of human body movement?

Sudip Mandal 2

Joined Mar 29, 2017
I want to detect the human body movement. My aim is to sense the direction of movement of the human body not only the movement, but the range should be 4 meters. I have heard the using PIR sensor can do the measurement of both movement and direction but not sure. Please suggest some sensors to detect the body movement direction accurately. Thank you advanced.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Your question needs a lot more detail. "Movement" is very vague. Are you talking about a body walking past a sensor, or one swiveling in a chair?

A typical low cost PIR sensor can detect movement but not direction.

ak

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hola Sudip

To convince yourself of how imprecise is your question, try to answer the question yourself.

Motion: circular, random pattern, along a line, up and down, fixed path, approaching, moving away, continuous, in steps.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
You use an accelerometer. That will allow you to determine all manner of physical movement- but it is relative to the orientation of the sensor- in order for you to determine compass direction, you would need to slave it with at least a magnetic indicator of North, accounting for declination etc. If doing the legwork for this is too difficult for you, or non-desired, then you need to use GPS.

Sudip Mandal 2

Joined Mar 29, 2017
Hola Sudip

To convince yourself of how imprecise is your question, try to answer the question yourself.

Motion: circular, random pattern, along a line, up and down, fixed path, approaching, moving away, continuous, in steps.
Thank you for your reply. I want to detect the human body linear-direction movement, it may be south-north or east to west whatever.

okay, let me explain it more broadly... every house has the main door by which people can enter the house or get out of the house. I just want to get the indication for entering and outing. I think I have explained correctly.
jik jhik.jpg

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If it is just through the entrance then have two IR beams spaced by about half the front to back distance of the body. (So spaced by 5 to 6 inches.) If we call the beam that is broken first when someone enters number 1 then if beam 1 is broken before beam 2 then someone has entered. If beam 2 is broken first then someone has left. an extra check would be to check the sequence the beams are cleared. You could use a micro controller to interpret all the possible sequences to deal with someone breaking beam 1 for example then reversing direction before breaking beam 2. This is a bit like the way a quadrature encoder works. This is a good example that telling us what you are trying to achieve in detail makes suggesting a solution much easier.

Les.

Sudip Mandal 2

Joined Mar 29, 2017
If it is just through the entrance then have two IR beams spaced by about half the front to back distance of the body. (So spaced by 5 to 6 inches.) If we call the beam that is broken first when someone enters number 1 then if beam 1 is broken before beam 2 then someone has entered. If beam 2 is broken first then someone has left. an extra check would be to check the sequence the beams are cleared. You could use a micro controller to interpret all the possible sequences to deal with someone breaking beam 1 for example then reversing direction before breaking beam 2. This is a bit like the way a quadrature encoder works. This is a good example that telling us what you are trying to achieve in detail makes suggesting a solution much easier.

Les.
[/thank you for your reply, but IR sensor range is low, I want the range more than 6 meter

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Consider the PING))) Ultrasonic Detector from Parallax or similar. This module uses ultrasonic waves to detect the distance of an object. The output is a pulse whose length is directly correlated to the distance of an object. By taking two measurements, the sign of the difference in distances indicates whether the object is moving to or from the sensor.

There are documented hacks for using more than one sensor to identify the objects location in a plane!

Can you use a microprocessor? With one, it is easy to determine an object exists and if it is moving toward or away from the sensor.

Last edited:

Sudip Mandal 2

Joined Mar 29, 2017
Consider the PING))) Ultrasonic Detector from Parallax or similar. This module uses ultrasonic waves to detect the distance of an object. The output is a pulse whose length is directly correlated to the distance of an object. By taking two measurements, the sign of the distance indicates whether the object is moving to or from the sensor.

There are documented hacks for using more than one sensor to identify the objects location in a plane!

Can you use a microprocessor? With one, it is easy to determine an object exists and if it is moving toward or away from the sensor.
Thank you for your reply, Yes I will use a microcontroller.

Pyroelectric infrared (PIR) sensors are widely used as a presence trigger, but the analog output of PIR sensors depends on several other aspects, including the distance of the body from the PIR sensor, the direction and speed of movement, the body shape and gait.

Pyroelectric infrared (PIR) sensors are widely used as a presence trigger, but the analog output of PIR sensors depends on several other aspects, including the distance of the body from the PIR sensor, the direction and speed of movement, the body shape and gait.