How to cut power on a relay

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by sirjecht, Sep 19, 2017.

1. sirjecht

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Hi Everyone,

I have what a problem with getting a relay board working with my devices.

Basically I have a powered relay with a +- trigger. I have a NO sensor which needs 6v constant which is powered from the Com on the relay which is powered. When the sensor is activated it closes completing the circuit. Now the hard part is the PCB I have also requires 6v at all times to the reciever.

Is there a way to have them both powered and have the PCB lose power when the sensor completes its circuit?

I have been over this in everyway and I just cant think of how to cut the power when they both require it in the beginning. Can anyone give any input on what to try? The relay im using is RLB1-24DP

2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    You are working with a module that provides the circuitry to switch the relay.

Have you read the datasheet?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  3. sirjecht

Sep 19, 2017
    I drew a simple diagram of what the setup is. I need to find a way to cut power to the PCB when the circuit is completed. Both A and B need constant power 6v if the circuit is open.

Sorry if its a little bad I am new to relays

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Did you READ the datasheet?

Your diagram will NOT work.

You do realize the relay module you said you have is a 24 volt model.

5. sirjecht

Sep 19, 2017
    Sorry yes I wrote that down wrong. Its 24v into the relay. The zone and the panel dont require an exact 6v they will work from 4-24v. I said 6v as that is what is written on the sensor data sheet. Will this not work at all regardless?

6. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Your diagram is still wrong.

RLB1-24DP.jpg

Can you draw a block diagram of the system you want to modify?

Right now I see you have a sensor and this relay module. What is the output of the sensor module?

That output is going to another module which might require a higher voltage than the sensor module provides. So you want to switch the higher voltage to provide the proper input to the module you haven't told me about yet.

Wiring.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. sirjecht

Sep 19, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Joe,

The sensor is a water sensor to detect flooding in my house, it activates when the contact join sending 6v across. I have an alarm panel which requires constant voltage to seal that zone. The alarm panel can only use NC circuits so plugging the sensor directly on doesn't work. I need to use this relay or a different relay to somehow send voltage to the sensor and the panel at the same time. Then when the sensor is opened the voltage to the panel is stopped so it will alarm. Its a third party sensor so the manufacturer cannot help. There are no switches involved, just 3 parts sensor, relay and panel. The power to the relay comes directly from the alarm 24v output.

I honestly don't think it is possible with this relay that's why I came here.

8. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    So the water sensor sends +6 volts (trigger).

The datasheet didn't mention the level of the trigger you needed, only you could use a positive or negative trigger source. I updated a wiring diagram that would work, only we will not know if a 6 volt trigger will energize the relay. Are you building the water sensor or is that already another module?