How to convert three phase AC into single phase ac or DC ?

Ujwal Bhagat

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hey guys, I'm back with new project. Now I want to get single phase ac from a two wheeler's alternator or DC. Because I'm gonna use it as a inverter, I want 220v 50-60hz ac or 12v 60watt(nearby). I don't know the alternator capacity, though I know one thing that it can at least generate 5amps DC, I checked this with my multimeter. Any thoughts will be appreciated !

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Did you know that 12VDC to 220VAC inverter can take more than 5 amps to power a simple house hold appliance.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Hey guys, I'm back with new project. Now I want to get single phase ac from a two wheeler's alternator or DC. Because I'm gonna use it as a inverter, I want 220v 50-60hz ac or 12v 60watt(nearby). I don't know the alternator capacity, though I know one thing that it can at least generate 5amps DC, I checked this with my multimeter. Any thoughts will be appreciated !
So all you need is a three phase rectifier, smoothing capacitor (and regulator?) and an inverter of course.

Ujwal Bhagat

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Did you know that 12VDC to 220VAC inverter can take more than 5 amps to power a simple house hold appliance.
Yeah, up till now I have been using my inverter to power 7 watt led bulb using my two wheeler's battery charging circuit. I cannot get more than 5 amps through it. That is why I thought that making my own rectified bridge or converting phase, would be more promising !

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
6 off diodes 10A+ 100V+ should be more than adequate - that's the easy bit.
The size of capacitor needed depends on the frequency of the alternator - which is?
What is the input voltage requirement of the inverter (min-max)?
What peak voltage does the alternator provide at 5A?

Ujwal Bhagat

Joined Jan 30, 2016
6 off diodes 10A+ 100V+ should be more than adequate - that's the easy bit.
The size of capacitor needed depends on the frequency of the alternator - which is?
What is the input voltage requirement of the inverter (min-max)?
What peak voltage does the alternator provide at 5A?
Thanks, please provide circuit diagram. I don't know the frequency so suggest me something. Min 12v at 10.5v inverter stops and gives battery low warning and max is 13.5v. How can I measure the output of alternator ? and I didn't mention that it provide 5amp max! I said that the rectified DC output was 5 amps, I checked it attaching my multimeter in series with battery when engine was running and battery was charging.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Search www for 3-phase rectifier - lots of diagrams there.
Does your two-wheeler have a rev counter? If so how fast was it running when the alternator was providing 5A (that will give some idea of the frequency).

Ujwal Bhagat

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Search www for 3-phase rectifier - lots of diagrams there.
Does your two-wheeler have a rev counter? If so how fast was it running when the alternator was providing 5A (that will give some idea of the frequency).
No, no rev counter. Sir the 5amp was restricted by the charging circuit and the engine was little more than idle as I was giving very low amount of gas!

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Hang on a minute. You could simply connect the inverter across the battery with the engine running to keep it charged. The rectifier, smoothing and voltage regulation are then built in.

Ujwal Bhagat

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hang on a minute. You could simply connect the inverter across the battery with the engine running to keep it charged. The rectifier, smoothing and voltage regulation are then built in.
I was doing the same, but I can't run more that one bulb and torch charger. I want to run the table fan.
Though I have a idea, the capacity of the battery is 5ah, if I buy a 10ah battery and connect it in series it would increase the capacity. The charging circuit will ensure that the battery will give good battery backup.
According to my calculations, 15ah at 12v will be 180 watt. After converting into AC keeping in mind about the inverter efficiency output wattage will be 50watt at least. Right ?

Ujwal Bhagat

Joined Jan 30, 2016
...... but only for 1 hour (theoretically). You are confusing Ah (Ampere-hours) with A (Amps).
The two wheeler charging circuit will slow down the discharging process.
Because when I was using my inverter directly in parallel will the two wheeler's battery when engine was running I got infinite backup until the fuel runout or engine stops.
So I think it would provide more than 1 hour backup. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ujwal Bhagat

Joined Jan 30, 2016
How much current does the inverter take from the battery when running the fan?
More than 5amps, I don't know the exact value since inverter shows battery low warning after 1 or 2 sec of connecting fan. Wattage of table fan I really don't know, but it must be between 30 to 50 watts.