How to control a linear electric actuator through a device like encoder

kabiransari

Joined Jan 24, 2018
Hello everyone...
Im working on a project for my final year engineering project which is FOUR WHEEL STEERING
And I require two electric linear actuators
Each will move in opposite direction like if one actuator stroke is travelling outwards the other actuator stroke should travel inwards..
P.s - I also need to adjust the actuator stroke position at it's mid position as it's neutral position(like if actuator stroke is 3inch the mid position should be 1.5 inch)
I really don't know anything about programming...so I prefer to do it on Arduino....please help me

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Steer by wire?

When your electronics crash, so will the vehicle.

Using DC motors fitted with incremental quadrature encoders, (google this) you can create closed-loop servo control systems that could follow steering commands in real time, producing opposite or even scaled precise motions.

You could buy off-the-shelf servo controllers and interface them to a computer, not going to be cheap or easy tho...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For that application it sounds like you may ideally need electronic gearing, this is where an axis(s) or positioner(s) is fed from a master at a set ratio.
It is no mean task, I have used motion cards that do this such as Galil Motion, they used to have a lot of examples on their site.
I don't envy the task of producing this method from scratch.
Max.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
You also might check out absolute encoders including Gray codes.
LAs are also available with a potentiometer & end limit switches.

Last edited:

kabiransari

Joined Jan 24, 2018
Steer by wire?

When your electronics crash, so will the vehicle.

Using DC motors fitted with incremental quadrature encoders, (google this) you can create closed-loop servo control systems that could follow steering commands in real time, producing opposite or even scaled precise motions.

You could buy off-the-shelf servo controllers and interface them to a computer, not going to be cheap or easy tho...
Thank you so much.....

kabiransari

Joined Jan 24, 2018
For that application it sounds like you may ideally need electronic gearing, this is where an axis(s) or positioner(s) is fed from a master at a set ratio.
It is no mean task, I have used motion cards that do this such as Galil Motion, they used to have a lot of examples on their site.
I don't envy the task of producing this method from scratch.
Max.
Thanks a lot Sir!