How to connect wires to terminal?

nscotkelly

Joined Jun 24, 2023
Hi,

I'm not an electronics person but have suddenly been thrown into it now. I need to connect wires to this terminal block which will be plugged into a DAQ.
terminals.png
What is this terminal block called? They come with the DAQ box, but would like to get more.

The one I have doesn't have the orange parts.

How to connect wires to it? Do I need to use crimping pins? Totally lost on how to connect the wires.

Any help would be great.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Strip the wire, press down the orange part, push the stripped wire into the hole adjacent to the orange part, release the orange part, the wire should remain firmly in place.
I hate the damn' things - give me a screw terminal any day. I presume that they must be cheap to make.

nscotkelly

Joined Jun 24, 2023
Strip the wire, press down the orange part, push the stripped wire into the hole adjacent to the orange part, release the orange part, the wire should remain firmly in place.
I hate the damn' things - give me a screw terminal any day. I presume that they must be cheap to make.
I really should have taken a pic of the one I have already. But the one I have doesn't have the orange component so I'm confused how to keep the wires fixed in place.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I really should have taken a pic of the one I have already. But the one I have doesn't have the orange component so I'm confused how to keep the wires fixed in place.
It could be one of those even more infuriating ones where you shove the wire in and it will never come out!

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Something not yet mentioned is the wire type. If it's stranded or if it's solid, there's a huge difference. Stranded wires are more difficult to hang onto in those sort of connectors. That's why it's not uncommon to crimp a sleeve on a stranded wire to present a solid surface for the connector to hang on to.

An actual picture (two or more) would be most useful. Also show us what kind of wire is going to be stabbed into them.

nscotkelly

Joined Jun 24, 2023
Thanks for all of the replies. The terminals were at work and I was silly and didn't take a pic before posting.

I have attached photos of the front and back of the terminal. I also didn't actually look on the block and can see a code B2L 3.5. Searching this I can see I will be able to get some more from RS (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pluggable-terminal-blocks/3829595)

In terms of wire, I believe that they 18 SWG, but might go for a slightly higher gauge. Do you think they need to be tinned for the terminals?

Attachments

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
They are only for the cognoscenti (who are sworn to secrecy): the uninitiated are not permitted to use them. If that were not the case, then one would expect a diagram in the datasheet to show how they work.
My guess is that you stick a small screwdriver into the square hole, then push the wire into the round hole. Then removing he screwdriver allows a spring to clamp the wire.

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
That os the worst documentation I have seen! Pages and pages going on about great features bit not a word about HOW TO USE THEM.

I agree with @Ian0 – pushing a small flat-bladed screw driver in the rectangular hole should release spring pressure and allow you to insert a stripped wire in the round hole.