What do I do if I need an inductor with 4 wires to connect when I only have two?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
There is plenty of 4 wire inductors but you do not know what you are looking for. Granny used to sew passing a thread around and around. If she did it with a thread, you should be able to do it with wires.
By the way, they are called transformers.

---->

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Is it an inductor? or a transformer? While transformers do include inductance in their specifications sometimes, usually a transformer is described with turns ratio or impedence ratio. So a transformer consists of coupled inductors, connected by mutual inductance.
And if the TS is not aware of the function of the parts in question I suggest more study of the basic elements of electrical circuits, and their functions.
I don't intend to be nasty, but it is very handy to know what is happening in the circuits one is using.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
That is more commonly known as a step-up transformer. I had not come across the expression"joule thief" prior to attending this forum.
Also, on most ignition coils, the two primary connections are one to the battery positive and one to the breaker points. Usually single points distributors only had one wire exiting, which went to one terminal of the primary winding, with the other terminal connecting to the battery, either directly or through a ballast resistor.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That is more commonly known as a step-up transformer. I had not come across the expression"joule thief" prior to attending this forum.
Also, on most ignition coils, the two primary connections are one to the battery positive and one to the breaker points. Usually single points distributors only had one wire exiting, which went to one terminal of the primary winding, with the other terminal connecting to the battery, either directly or through a ballast resistor.
Big Clive coined the name and here is a very old post of his about it. He's also made videos, of course.