How to connect 2 pin led strip to 4 pin controller

Pabas

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Hi there. I have 2 pin white led strips. And I want to connect them to 4 pin WiFi controller. I have some idea but idk if it gonna works.16088231123451469190126342764500.jpg

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Tying the three outputs together as you have shown, is a bad idea. You might create a short and damage the wifi controller.

Why not tie the B (blue) connection to the led strip, leaving the R and G disconnected? Then you just control the strip with the B channel, ignoring the other two. Blue and white LEDs use a similar amount of color (closer than red or green LEDs)

It looks like the Wi-Fi controller is for an RGB strip. It has three channels; one for each color. Just use one.

Pabas

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Thanks for quick response. Im newbie so idk how it should be connected. I have white LEDs they not changing colours. I just want to power them up via controller so I can automatize them with my voice assistant and WiFi sensor.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Im newbie so idk how it should be connected. . . I just want to power them up via controller so I can automatize them with my voice assistant and WiFi sensor.
Black wire to black wire

Wire/Pin labeled B to red wire.

Leave pins labeled G & R disconnected.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The black wire is likely the negative side of the LED's. The R, G and B are positive lines meant to control those specific colors. IF you connect to the black and B lines then when you command the Blue color you will get full white brightness. But if you command either full R or G, your white LED's will not respond. But I don't know this for sure, it's only conjecture on my part. I don't know how your controller is wired. There may be a chance you CAN wire RG&B together without any ill effects. However, don't do it just because I said it might be OK. It might NOT be OK, and I'm not going to buy you a new controller. At best you should test for voltages on each set of lines and note the polarity, which again I suspect will be Black = Negative and R, G & B = Positive. Again, that's mere conjecture.

Pabas

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Okay I've done all connections but it doesn't light up led strip. Any idea why? With RGB strips it works perfect.16094267582744600502787837324442.jpg

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
The wifi device is powered over a USB connection, it does not have much power at all for any large amount of LEDs. Your "roll" of LEDs show a large amount of them, that controller cannot power a strip that big, in my opinion. That wifi controller probably is designed to interface with a high power interface to power multiple LEDs, not power them directly.

Pabas

Joined Dec 24, 2020
I have another one powered thru DC it's not workin ether.View attachment 226383
But I check voltages and seems like it's way to low on output of them 4 pins. So you were right. Now different question. How to power them led thru this or different controller ? I wanna connect them with WiFi motion sensor.

Still can't sort it any ideas please

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
That's the input voltage on the WIFI. The output is 5 volts. You need a 5 volt LED strip that the WIFI can handle otherwise you would need a converter circuit between the WIFI and the 12 volt strip, possibly something as simple as a logic level N channel mosfet
EEE 5 volt to 12 volt LED strip converter.png

Last edited:

Pabas

Joined Dec 24, 2020
Wow thank you so much. I just ordered MOSFETs. I let you know how does it go when they arrive. One again big THANKS!

I'm newbie but is RL means -resistor? If yes what kind of I need?