how to check if the correct resistors are installed

pancake

Joined Oct 30, 2013
i have this speedo gauge that has been previously repaired it has been removed from my bike as it has been draining my battery the clocks on this model of bike are common to fail and are VERY expensive my question is how can i safely identify the correct value of resistors (remember the resistors are not origonal and i cannot get any circuite diagrams) i will try and upload pics thanks all

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
read the color bands... or the number on them if surface mount.. resistors typically cannot be measured with an ohm meter/multimeter "in-circuit"

be careful where this post goes.. Discussions of automotive/vehicular modifications are not allowed here.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
read the color bands... or the number on them if surface mount.. resistors typically cannot be measured with an ohm meter/multimeter "in-circuit"

be careful where this post goes.. Discussions of automotive/vehicular modifications are not allowed here.
I am sure the OP is referring to his bicycle. So, assuming the resistors are not burned or covered with glue, read the resistor color code and replace them. My question would be, how do you know the resistors are bad unless you see physical damage?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The basket is on the rear carrier.

The bell is required by law.

Sticking out behind the bell is the rear view mirror.

The red button on the left handle bar is the switch for the light.

The right handle bar is the throttle.

pancake

Joined Oct 30, 2013
I am sure the OP is referring to his bicycle. So, assuming the resistors are not burned or covered with glue, read the resistor color code and replace them. My question would be, how do you know the resistors are bad unless you see physical damage?
they are completly black no coulour codes on them

pancake

Joined Oct 30, 2013

its not a mod its a repair

pancake

Joined Oct 30, 2013
so the question remains how would i (or you) go about finding out the correct resistor value IF THERE IS NO COULOUR BANDS SHOWING and there are no circuite diagrams etc

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Assuming that the resistor has not been damaged you can unsolder the resistor and measure the resistance with an ohmmeter.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Is this for you bicycle?

What is the make/model of you speedometer?

Do the resistor go between your generator and the clock?

There just is not enough information here.

Guys, please keep this on topic for the OP.