How to change the threshold of voltage difference between source and drain when the gate voltage is zero

achen

Joined Sep 11, 2022
The NMOS configuration is as below.
the gate voltage is 0 V
the source voltage is fixed to 0 V, the drain voltage is swept from -2 V to 2V.
We can see that the threshold of voltage difference between source and drain is very little, at drain voltage around -0.01 V.
What parameter of this NMOS shown in the second graph (Level1_Model) I can change in order to have the threshold voltage difference much negative, say -10 V ?

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The threshold ad drain current as a function of gate-to-source voltages at different drain-source voltages is a function of the design (including the manufacturing process) of a given MOSFET.

You can modulate the the transfer function of the gate by adding a second gate, then you would be uding a dual gate MOSFET.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The threshold ad drain current as a function of gate-to-source voltages at different drain-source voltages is a function of the design (including the manufacturing process) of a given MOSFET.

You can modulate the the transfer function of the gate by adding a second gate, then you would be uding a dual gate MOSFET.
Could you clarify the phrase: "The threshold ad drain current ..."?
I'm not sure what the "ad" means and the sentence above is unclear to me in its meaning.

I am aware of the ability to fabricate a range of MOSFETS with differing amounts of drain current at Vgs=0 V. Essentially sliding the characteristic Id versus Vgs curve from that of a depletion mode MOSFET to an enhancement mode MOSFET. Is this what we are talking about?

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If your (@Papabravo ) question is directed to me, that was a typo -typed on my phone. It should read "The threshold and drain current as a function of gate-to-source voltages at different drain-source voltages..."

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If your (@Papabravo ) question is directed to me, that was a typo -typed on my phone. It should read "The threshold and drain current as a function of gate-to-source voltages at different drain-source voltages..."
Yes, it was, and thank you for the clarification. Am I correct that we are talking about the intercept of the characteristic curve with the Vgs=0V axis?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The NMOS configuration is as below.
the gate voltage is 0 V
the source voltage is fixed to 0 V, the drain voltage is swept from -2 V to 2V.
We can see that the threshold of voltage difference between source and drain is very little, at drain voltage around -0.01 V.
What parameter of this NMOS shown in the second graph (Level1_Model) I can change in order to have the threshold voltage difference much negative, say -10 V ?
Are you taking into account that, for the basic MOSFET, the drain and source are interchangeable? Thus when you take the drain voltage to -2 V, what you have in effect is a NFET with a Vgs of 2 V and a Vds of 2 V. More to the point, what you have is a diode-connected FET.

Now playing into this is where the body is connected. Also, especially for discrete MOSFETs, the drain and source regions may not be symmetric.