How to build circuits

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi
I want to know- how to figure out how to buils circuit?
I mean,how to know where to put every component in order to get what is required?

Is it trial and error process?
Is it possible to build simulation of the citcuit and see what's happen?

Thanks
Try this:- http://ee.old.no/library/

An archive of Philips EE kit manuals - they cover a large range of essential basic building blocks.

The circuits are printed in the back of each manual - but not all include component values, so you have to ferret about a bit to get everything.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi
I mean,how to know where to put every component in order to get what is required?

Thanks
We follow a schematic that tells us what parts connect and how. Designing the schematic? We start with an understanding of how each component works and what its limitations are. Consider what we want to accomplish and choose the parts that accomplish those ends.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Design 930 simple power supply.PNG [
Hi

Thanks
I don't know if all these guys answered your question, but here is my two cents worth. Attached is a schematic and a text description of the thought process that I went through in making it.
Certainly an engineer could add thousands f words to this. I am just a technician.

Attachments

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
A lot of us learned how to build circuits by destroying circuits because we were born curious about how things work. Find old junk electronics for little or nothing and disassemble it to components using basic hand tools and a soldering iron. Then take those parts, lookup their functions and see how they work to make a product. Keep a ledger or notebook to log what you design and tinker with. I still have some of my very old notes about long forgotten projects so when I'm rummaging in my old project junk box I can have some idea about how it was constructed and built.

The truth be told is, if you have to ask a question like this then it's unlikely you have the natural talent for this.
Hi,

That's an interesting view, i forgot how many things i took apart in my lifetime especially when very young. It is an interesting way to learn about some things.
Geeze, if i had to make a list...

But the most complex mechanical thing i took apart was a Pontiac 389 cu in automobile engine for rebuilding. Well, that and a Chevy automatic transmission.

Most complex electronic thing, i'd have to think about it.

Would be nice to hear of other's experiences in the 'tear down' mode too.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Hi,

That's an interesting view, i forgot how many things i took apart in my lifetime especially when very young. It is an interesting way to learn about some things.
Geeze, if i had to make a list...

But the most complex mechanical thing i took apart was a Pontiac 389 cu in automobile engine for rebuilding. Well, that and a Chevy automatic transmission.

Most complex electronic thing, i'd have to think about it.

Would be nice to hear of other's experiences in the 'tear down' mode too.
Some people in academia seem to forget that the electronics/electrical engineering is usually just the control system for complex mechanical/electro-chemical systems. Understanding the electronics is the simple part of the equation. It's very hard to get the mechanical intuition needed to visualize complex systems without also being a mechanical tinker at some part of your life.