How to : AM signal into an air coil

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Would it act like a mechanical switch? And put a high power resistor in series to get the voltage.. or put it in common terminal. I'm just throwing ideas.
It is the throwing of ideas that is your problem. You are wasting enormous amounts of time and energy to answer quest that have already been considered. To top it off you have no idea where you want to go with this and are just stringing folks along. I call BS on this entire thread.
A vacuum tube, used as a switch, will be faster than anything mechanical, with no arcing, driving an inductive load

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
We are free to make assumptions if the TS apparently is not going to tell us. Without knowing the objective of this exercise, given the TS's lack of experience we are just wasting out time (as AGA indicated.)

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
We are free to make assumptions if the TS apparently is not going to tell us. Without knowing the objective of this exercise, given the TS's lack of experience we are just wasting out time (as AGA indicated.)
I will mention it again. For experiment purposes. I will be adding sensors in the coil including different types of materoals to see if any decay or environmental changes

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
I have given you the purposes of my project. The coil size, the types of waveforms and the source voltage I want to use. Any I dea how the circuit should be done so I can achieve my goal ? I do have the desired waveform with an 12v pk-pk output. How do I achieve 600v into my coil ?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
How much magnetic field are you trying to create?
600V into 18mH at 3MHz is still only 5mA.
Also, don't forget that if you start with a 600V supply, then you will end up with 1200V on the switching device.
A TV horizontal output transistor or valve might be the answer.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
How do I achieve 600v into my coil ?
More importantly, how will you achieve it safely and legally? Given your clear lack of experience, members here might well be be concerned about giving advice. This is not a project you can knock up on a breadboard. 600V can KILL you, and your chosen frequencies are in the MW/SW radio broadcast bands so will be detectable as illegal transmissions.

Last edited:

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
More importantly, how will you achieve it safely and legally? Given your clear lack of experience, members here might well be be concerned about giving advice. This is not a project you can knock up on a breadboard. 600V can KILL you, and your chosen frequencies are in the MW/SW radio broadcast bands so will be detectable as illegal transmissions.
Thanks for the advice. I have 5000v protection gloves and a Faraday cage the coil will be sitting in

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
How much magnetic field are you trying to create?
600V into 18mH at 3MHz is still only 5mA.
Also, don't forget that if you start with a 600V supply, then you will end up with 1200V on the switching device.
A TV horizontal output transistor or valve might be the answer.
How would you apply that transistor to the coil?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
That depends on whether I need a sinewave or whether I thought I could get away with a squarewave (with a triangular current waveform), and whether 5mA was really enough current.

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
That depends on whether I need a sinewave or whether I thought I could get away with a squarewave (with a triangular current waveform), and whether 5mA was really enough current.
I best start with smaller current and increase voltage if I need. But square wave is a must. The counter inductance magnetic field will go the opposite direction affecting the impulse wave so making a fast rise square wave will be hard

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Making a fast-rise square-wave won’t be much of a problem at all. There is only the intrawinding capacitance and the transistor drain-source capacitance to stop you.
But the current waveform will be triangular, and of a very small amplitude. In fact the magnetic field to all intents and purposes is DC.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
It will work better if the coil is like a crystal radio coil
The object of doing a sweep of the coil is to find the peak voltage.

1 inch diameter by 3.55 inches long 160 turns, wire length 42 feet long 159pF and 159 uH
good that you are using a cage.

When raising the lower potential signal to a higher potential a common gate configuration
keeps the phase synchronized so the mosfets shape the waveform.

http://cmosedu.com/jbaker/courses/ee420L/s15/students/leungs/Lab 6/lab6.htm.htm

Last edited:

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Coil 9 inch diameter and 22 inch high.
Frequency = 3 MHz.
Variant 1:
Coil-1: 900 turns of 23 AWG copper magnet wire.
L1 = 62.4 mH,
R coil = 47.47 Ω,
Self capacitance C1 = 9.8 pF,
PS Voltage = 600 V.
L1 current deviation is from 0.78 mA to 2.26 mA, so magnetomotive force, Fm changes from 0.702 At to 2.034 At, or from 0.882 Gauss to 2.56 Gauss.
1604548536413.png
=============================
Variant 2:
Coil-2: 9 turns of aluminum strip, width of strip = 57 mm, thickness = 0.5 mm.
L1 = 6.55 uH,
R coil = 0.007 Ω,
Self capacitance C1 = 9.5 pF,
PS Voltage = 12 V.
L1 current deviation is from -12.3 A to 12.3 A, so magnetomotive force, Fm changes from -110.7 At to 110.7 At, or from -139.1 Gauss to 139.1 Gauss.
1604547919644.png

Last edited:

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
63mH has current.. need to compensate for small change in ground condition.
The peak to peak current using Danko's simulation with different inductance values
adding .001 Ohm between inductor and ground raised the signal above the zero vertical (Y) axis
having a fine adjustment that lowers the signal below on the Y axis might compensate for ground conditions.
not sure I trust the simulator being ideal. Care will also be needed in keeping the coil physically up and isolated from the ground
The low value resistor makes me think there could be stability issue with small changes in the electrical ground potential.
2H 8.8mA
850mH 20 mA
180mH 100 mA
63 mH 4700mA

Last edited:

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
@Danko Yes you are correct I did make an error setting the pulse generator in multisim.
The parameters for Pulse_Voltage I had were 600V 1200V 15n 15n 153n 333.4n

I now think that besides ground potential that temperature and humidity makes this circuit sensitive to external conditions.
Possibly 3 or 4 stages may be necessary.

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I imagined it with a power semiconductor (probably a SiC MOSFET) with the coil as its drain load, with all the associated problems with drain-source capacitance etc.

captoro

Joined Jun 21, 2009
I imagined it with a power semiconductor (probably a SiC MOSFET) with the coil as its drain load, with all the associated problems with drain-source capacitance etc.
Multi level ? first a CS amplifier for voltage amplification then a common drain for current amp ? i was initially thinking of a tank circuit, but if there is a way of automatically changing the capacitance I can add this to the program.