How stupid can people be??

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What's stupid about it? Unethical yes, irritating yes, inappropriate yes, stupid? Unsure.

People who offer services (no matter how lawful) advertise. This is the first time I've seen spam service advertising.

I bet the way it works is, they hope to lure in would_be scammers/spammers; idiots who don't have the smarts to set up their own bank login scampage. People not smart enough to be scam artists but with moral compasses sufficiently bent to be willing participants in a scam. The would_be scammers' reward would be unknowing forfeiture of all spoils to the real scam artists.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm sure there are statistics on how many "click through" occurs per 1000 or per million spams. Some businesses will see the cost of the spam vs the click through and their own conversion rate, it might be worthwhile.

If you got a million leads in the year from your spam activities and it lead to 10 million in sales, you might think differently.

Me, I have no time or interest to generate, read, or click a spam message. That doesn't mean others follow my example.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm sure there are statistics on how many "click through" occurs per 1000 or per million spams. Some businesses will see the cost of the spam vs the click through and their own conversion rate, it might be worthwhile.

If you got a million leads in the year from your spam activities and it lead to 10 million in sales, you might think differently.

Me, I have no time or interest to generate, read, or click a spam message. That doesn't mean others follow my example.
Can't imagine not following your example.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think he meant stupid to post on this forum and think they can get away with it.
Right, but even then it wasn't entirely fruitless. Their message was received, even if just by a few, before it was deleted. The Storm saw it, and replicated the message.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
What's stupid about it? Unethical yes, irritating yes, inappropriate yes, stupid? Unsure.

People who offer services (no matter how lawful) advertise. This is the first time I've seen spam service advertising.

I bet the way it works is, they hope to lure in would_be scammers/spammers; idiots who don't have the smarts to set up their own bank login scampage. People not smart enough to be scam artists but with moral compasses sufficiently bent to be willing participants in a scam. The would_be scammers' reward would be unknowing forfeiture of all spoils to the real scam artists.
I think he meant stupid to post on this forum and think they can get away with it.
This is exactly what I meant, thanks spinnaker.

Right, but even then it wasn't entirely fruitless. Their message was received, even if just by a few, before it was deleted. The Storm saw it, and replicated the message.
*Replicated with contact info removed. It's harmless as it sits in this thread.