How stuff works, Logitech Keyboard?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Having some difficulty with my fairly new Logitech keyboard after inserting a good quantity of salad dreaaing over the ESC and nearby keys. Did a closed unit cleaning, mechanical and hot water rinse. But after an overnight dry the SPACE key does not work. This key has circuitry that goes to the dirty area.

By what manor of spell or sorcery do these blasted things work? There are two transparent sheets under the keys that are slightly separated by a third layer with a circular cut out for each key press area.

What are the contacts detecting? What can clean these things?

Answer quickly, the trash is going out tonight for morning pickup! :mad:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
From personal experience, cleaning these foil contacts rarely gets any good results.
I would try a bath in isopropyl, maybe a few.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Is that a wireless keyboard? The matrix columns are likely very high impedance. A small amount of conductivity probably sinks them like a rock.

Take it apart. Ultrasonic clean the board in Liquinox followed by a deionized water rinse.

Dry in the oven.

PS -> Attribute your sig to its author. There are youngsters here who may not be aware of its provenance.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Having some difficulty with my fairly new Logitech keyboard after inserting a good quantity of salad dreaaing over the ESC and nearby keys. Did a closed unit cleaning, mechanical and hot water rinse. But after an overnight dry the SPACE key does not work. This key has circuitry that goes to the dirty area.

By what manor of spell or sorcery do these blasted things work? There are two transparent sheets under the keys that are slightly separated by a third layer with a circular cut out for each key press area.

What are the contacts detecting? What can clean these things?

Answer quickly, the trash is going out tonight for morning pickup! :mad:
Cheaper keyboards are 2 layers of mylar film with silver tracks to make the button contacts - any liquid between them takes months to dry out and leaves a destructive residue. Dismantling and cleaning is the only option - and some types can't be put back together.

Conventional mechanical keyboard buttons aren't much easier - but at least you only have to replace the contaminated ones.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yes wireless. What I find strange is I never catch it just making spaces, so there may be some other key also shorted.

PS -> Attribute your sig to its author. There are youngsters here who may not be aware of its provenance.
Considering the current state of political indoctrination our youngsters get in school I will let the statement stand on it's own merits without attribution.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Did my final cleaning with material on hand, no change. Buying any other solvents will cfost more than a replacement.

Thanks all, now to the bin we go!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Did my final cleaning with material on hand, no change. Buying any other solvents will cfost more than a replacement.

Thanks all, now to the bin we go!
There are plenty of cheap solvents - but most of them attack plastics. Car paint thinner is one of the most powerful you can just go out and buy, but its one of the most damaging solvents.

If the spill was salad cream - dishwashing detergent is a pretty obvious choice - but its thickened with salt, so you have to get it all off after. Windscreen washer detergent might work, and no salt.

PCBs etc have been washed in water ever since the de-fluxing solvents were banned to protect the ozone layer.