How people pictured the future

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
I find it fascinating how humans have tried to predict future. If you have come across something interesting please share. Both authentic and hoaxes are welcome. :)

An example of a famous hoax is a computer by "Rand Corporation":
1660752198157.png

Another example this is how someone may have imagined transatlantic flights about century ago (1928?):
1660752104057.png

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I remember reading George Orwell's "1984" in my teens in the early 50s. It became depressingly realistic when I learned about the way the Communists in the Soviet Union controlled civil rights and liberties. Fortunately, their philosophies were only accepted by very few countries so, Orwell's prophicies thankfully never really materialized for the majority civilized countries.
As far as Thechnological predictions are concerned, I think "The Jetsons" are the most enjoyable ones.

MikeA

Joined Jan 20, 2013
The only difference between TASS and some US news outlets - TASS was (is) controlled by the party and here, a party is controlled by media outlets.
That's the thing about the definition of an honest election. TASS was able to convince hundreds of millions of people that the western world was wholly preoccupied with nuking the USSR, or even better, invading and enslaving the workers through capitalism. It worked very well.

By the same token, if the vast majority of media outlets in some country are officially endorsing one party, are elections in that country honest?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
An example of a famous hoax is a computer by "Rand Corporation":
Love, the large, chrome, double steering wheel.
Wonder what that was supposed to do(?).
Looks like it should have been on a submarine.

And who could have envisioned just how small, powerful computers would get (Iphone anyone) with a very high definition color screen, able to communicate 4 different ways (cell phone, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS), and with a tiny camera that far exceeds anything the old film still or movie cameras could do.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Love, the large, chrome, double steering wheel.
Wonder what that was supposed to do(?).
Looks like it should have been on a submarine.

And who could have envisioned just how small, powerful computers would get (Iphone anyone) with a very high definition color screen, able to communicate 4 different ways (cell phone, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS), and with a tiny camera that far exceeds anything the old film still or movie cameras could do.
I am pretty sure that is a submarine (simulator?). the printing terminal in front is cobbled together from a DECwriter II and something I don’t recognize. That makes it an anachronism and completely exposes the fake nature of the photo.

1660820380754.jpeg

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
And the TV on the wall looks like it was added to the picture later as well... Proportions just don't seem right on it as well as the "shadows" in both directions.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
And the TV on the wall looks like it was added to the picture later as well... Proportions just don't seem right on it as well as the "shadows" in both directions.
I looked at the picture, and thought great
but on closer look, look at the far right, off the side of the set
zoom in looks like there are flat screen monitors !

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The base picture for the RAND fake (which was an entry in a fake-picture competition) was taken at a 2000 Smithsonian Museum exhibit showing a mock up of a nuclear submarines reactor and power plant control room.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000706.../navpalib/news/news_stories/sub-centen02.html

In the competition, the picture from the exhibit was posted on a website (Fark.com, IIRC) and the challenge was to use Photoshop to modify it and come up with a description consistent with the image.

Years ago I tracked down the site and wanted to see what the other entries looked like, but while the text was there, the images weren't available anymore. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I looked at the picture, and thought great
but on closer look, look at the far right, off the side of the set
zoom in looks like there are flat screen monitors !
I'm pretty sure those are just posters in a nearby exhibit.

1660870183628.png

What I've always wondered is what is the thing mounted on the wall near where the (undersized) person was Photoshopped in:

1660870341240.png

I've can't make out anything on the plaque below it. It may or may not even be related to the control room exhibit.