How old is the map I am seeing on the Google Earth

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Recently I saw a video about GPS device (tracking) connected to Arduino. He was showing his walked route. And he was showing his parked car too on Google earth.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi W,
The Image date is shown at the bottom of the map.
To see earlier images, click that date and use the slider bar to select them.
E

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
I do not have access computer-internet. I had seen the video on another source. Can you tell me after how long time the Google update their map?

Another: do the use powerful cameras on many satellites around the world to collect world's map (image)?

Willen

Joined Nov 13, 2015
How could you be posting here hen? Magic?
Not magic, I am using cellphone as an internet source from few years. Otherwise I would know nothing about internet. Sure I could connect the cellphone in computer but it's GPRS service and costs too much. Now a days 300MB data costs US$3 for a month. It's not cheap, because earning is very low around my country. (a pretty general labour earn 3 to 4 US doller per day) I know 300MB data for computer browser is almost nothing.

Yes, smartphones support GoogleEarth too, but my permanent and main source is Nokia's java phone. Supports almost nothing in these days. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not magic, I am using cellphone as an internet source from few years. Otherwise I would know nothing about internet. Sure I could connect the cellphone in computer but it's GPRS service and costs too much. Now a days 300MB data costs US$3 for a month. It's not cheap, because earning is very low around my country. (a pretty general labour earn 3 to 4 US doller per day) I know 300MB data for computer browser is almost nothing.

Yes, smartphones support GoogleEarth too, but my permanent and main source is Nokia's java phone. Supports almost nothing in these days. :)
Well I sort of figured you mean that but a cellphone is a computer. ;)

So I checked Google Earth out for you, I see no way to get the date from the image, so it really doesn't matter that you don't have a Google Earth capable smart phone.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Recently I saw a video about GPS device (tracking) connected to Arduino. He was showing his walked route. And he was showing his parked car too on Google earth.
They are constantly updating their images. I read at one point several years ago that their goal was to have something like 75% of image data for the populated land mass between the two tropic lines (Cancer and Capricorn) be no older than three years. I don't know if they have achieved that or not -- of course they get to decide what areas are considered "populated".

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I do not have access computer-internet. I had seen the video on another source. Can you tell me after how long time the Google update their map?

Another: do the use powerful cameras on many satellites around the world to collect world's map (image)?
The higher resolution images generally come from aircraft-mounted imaging systems, but the satellite image data they get is pretty astounding itself, giving resolutions in the sub-meter range.

They also incorporate street-level images taken by cars driving around. The scale of the undertaking is mind-boggling.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I should have been more specific. I checked out the Google Earth App on the Android. It does not have that banner. It displays the lat/lon and a Copyright message but that is about it.
I don't know about that app specifically, but Google Earth says that if the date information for an image is unknown, then it isn't displayed. So it's possible that the image you were looking at falls into that category. Of course, if you checked out several places that weren't close to each other, then that is unlikely to be the case every time.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I don't know about that app specifically, but Google Earth says that if the date information for an image is unknown, then it isn't displayed. So it's possible that the image you were looking at falls into that category. Of course, if you checked out several places that weren't close to each other, then that is unlikely to be the case every time.

It is not saying anything about unknown. It just does not display the image date. It is the Earth app on Android.

If I display the same area with my PC, the mentioned data appears in the banner.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Google earth maintains it library via the historical imagery view.

I found artifacts of long abandoned units using Google Earth. There was remains of the Beverage Antenna at Cape Christian (Baffin Bay) Canada that pointed towards Nipisat Greenland. There was the footprint of the buildings on ConSon Island, VietNam as well as the antenna field at Tan My Vietnam. Only the buildings and basketball court is visible at the unit in Lampong, Thailand.

Also, there was an island in the Eniwetok Atoll, that obliterated when the first thermo-neuclear weapon exploded. The hole is visible on Google Earth. There was a second explosion near the same spot at "Mike".

A friend of mine was assigned to a bouy tender in Guam. He, and the other four people, caught a four hundred pound tuna off a little pacific island. He sent me the coordinates to see the island. The crew had grilled tuna shortly there after. The Executive Officer announced that the largest fish he saw caught by a crew-member was being brought aboard.

Lots of places to see. Maldives is one place. Looking down Mt Etna in Sicily. Let your imagination run free. I've revisited places I've been and visited some places I've never been.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I once read that, due to safety concerns (read, terrorism, organized crime, etc.), Google was not allowed to post images that weren't older than six months... but that might be just an urban legend, I admit.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Here is the Chatham break, a new seaward entrance to Chatham harbor at the time I grabbed the pictures from Google Earth. Chatham bar, the sea type. On Feb. 18, 1952, a massive storm splits the SS Pendleton in two, trapping more than 30 sailors inside the tanker's sinking stern. 32 of the 33 seamen from the Pendleton and the four Coast Guard who braved the 60 foot seas in a 36 foot boat to rescue them. It recently was a book and then a movie titled "the Finest Hour."

Chatham break ....

chatham_break_100.gif

Chatham bar

chatham_bar_100.gif

Notice the shifting sands of the bar.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I recently booked a hotel room online, then explored the hotel's locality on Google Street View. Somewhat disconcertingly a patch of wasteland showed up where the hotel should be! I then noticed that the imagery was 5 years old.
It was a relief to find, on checking in this week, that the hotel does indeed exist :).