How old are ya..

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
something made me reply to this thread.

i am 22,
and have zer:( years of experience with electronics (like an unborn child LOL)
i did come across electronics twice when i had electronics as a subject in 10(matriculate)+2 level which we refer to as 12th. and then again a subject of digital electronics in fourth semester. So basically i m much better than rest of my class but only with logic gates,ff,counters etc and their manipulation nothing more.
though i had immense interest in electronics i cud not persue it . i m here since i love learning about concepts in Electrical engg. and this site(forum) has helped me improve in both electronics and electrical.
thanks.

chesart1

Joined Jan 23, 2006
Hi,

My name is John. I am 61 years old. I worked as a electronic technician for 6 years [1969 - 1976] while attending evening school for an engineering degree. From 1976 to 1977, I was modifying assembly language software programs. I received a BSEE in 1977. However, I continued doing software design [embedded systems] until 2002. I was placed in test engineering and remained there until I retired from engineering in 2004. I have limited experience designing circuits.

I'm about 4 months away from turning 29. My interest in electronics began with a small LED blinker project when I was 14 at school. Got a few kits between then and entering university, at which point I decided to do E & E. :D

sprintf

Joined Nov 5, 2007
This is my first post here... though I've already learned quite a bit just lurking. I'm 20 years old and a third year EE student. Once I had my first circuits lab I started building up a little workshop in my apartment and really feel that the hands-on experience has improved my understanding of my classes. I hope that I can make some contributions to the forums in the future :)

dougp01

Joined Dec 6, 2005
I've been chasing electrons around circuits since the late 1960's. Back in the days when electron flow used to travel from negative to positive (vacuum tubes). At some point electron flow reversed direction and we now show it going from positive to negative. I guess someone actually saw an electron go by and noticed it going the other way... :)

Anyway, I got some actual training from the USN in Electronic Warfare (1971-1972), did lots of work with countermeasures on RADAR systems. Then I entered the school of hard knocks where I worked with large capacity tape and disk drives, electronic security, high voltage ion implanters and currently solar inverters (1/3 MW). -Doug

Voltboy

Joined Jan 10, 2007
I've been chasing electrons around circuits since the late 1960's. Back in the days when electron flow used to travel from negative to positive (vacuum tubes). At some point electron flow reversed direction and we now show it going from positive to negative. I guess someone actually saw an electron go by and noticed it going the other way... :)
Don't the electrons flow from negative to positive??
The conventional flow is from positive to negative that was what they thought in the late 60's.

I'm almost 6 according to my dog. I suspect his math skills are suspect though!

I'm a CATV field engineer and have always had an interest in electronics. Took some basic courses in high school and got hooked when the teacher brought a homemade "portable" computer. It was in an old briefcase and had a power cord dangling out of the side of it. If I remember correctly it was a few K and really didn't do much of anything. Sort of a digital logic calculator if my poor addled brain is serving me correctly.

It was, however, the coolest thing I had ever seen. Of course at the time a rocking computer was the TI-99! We were still using a PDP (11 maybe) in our computer lab.

Recently I have gotten interested in micros. Strange how we go backwards to go forward some time...

My pet project is a calculator that can be used to design forward and return levels for cable television plant. It is meant to replace a desktop program of my own design that considers different cables and equipment without having to run individual strings for the pilot frequencies. I'm building around the BASIC stamp micro with a simple 4 line display, the cheapest LCD I could work with.

I'm glad to have found this forum. It seems to have a helpful group that respects those that are here to learn. I look forward to having such a resource at my fingertips.

So:
  1. - Old but not too old.
  2. - Young but not too young.
  3. - :D

Mark

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The newsgroup archive is from the days before we moved to the vBulletin boards - maybe a facelift one day ;)

Its a great little feature of the AAC site that we really should promote more.

Dave
I used to hang out in the Sci.Electronics.Design group. There were some real wizards there, and a few homicidal, absolutely wacko maniacs.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I used to hang out in the Sci.Electronics.Design group. There were some real wizards there, and a few homicidal, absolutely wacko maniacs.
I honestly know very little about newsgroups, other than you need a client with which to connect and use (I may be wrong on this!).

In the words of Rob, the Newsgroup Archive is:

...basically decentralized public discussion boards, so there are hundreds of servers that replicate the discussions locally. What the archive on AAC does is simply connect to a server carrying the specific newsgroups, and download any new messages and store them on our server.
So its a collection of the electronics-based newsgroups from the various discussion boards. We provide it, not as an alternative forum where members can post questions, but as a repository for information from other sources.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
...So its a collection of the electronics-based newsgroups from the various discussion boards. We provide it, not as an alternative forum where members can post questions, but as a repository for information from other sources.

Dave
Now I get it!

I think newsgroups are not as efficient as forums, with the disadvantage of having the e-mail box full of spam.

okie

Joined Dec 21, 2007
I'm 22 years old, and I'm a junior at MIT majoring in physics. I'm taking some time off, working at a startup around Boston, and taking an analog electronics course at Harvard. I think I'm going to double major in electrical engineering when I go back to MIT. I've been building a lot of electronics during my time off, and I love it.

Winston

Joined Dec 25, 2007
Hello. I'm 40. I do not feel it; or rather, I don't feel like other ppl who are 40. I guess I think of 40 as old, but I don't feel old or middle aged, but I guess I associate middle aged with guys who are in their 50's, or look it. When I look at 20 somethings now, I think, they have no idea how fast 40 is coming. It seems far away, but one day your 28, then 33, then 38 then BANG, 40. They don't do the math. If you're 25, well, 20 was only 5 years ago. So, 5, then 5, then 5 again and hello, yer 40!

I had an interest in science from the beginning and in elementary school knew all there was to know about what could be found in the junior science section at the library; the solar system, the planets, simple machines, the idea of likes repel and unlikes attract... but into my teen years I couldn't maintain a focus on anything, for reasons not worth getting into now. I once stopped in the middle of the English dept. in high school, on my way somewhere, because it suddenly hit me, "this is not about education". I've spent the intervening time studying and thinking about things which led to a thesis that matches almost exactly that of Ivan Illich in his book, "Deschooling Society". Nothing new under the sun, I guess. I'm rediscovering an "interest in things" and because I want to build a theremin and tesla coil, I'm delving back into a study of electronics. I'm at a point in my studies now where I can no longer be too cool to study trigonometry! I'm an autodidact. Nothing I know came from a school (or if it did, only incidentally). I've learned quite a lot in my years, but not in such a way that matters to those who measure such things in terms of performance in an institution or in terms of how an institution might judge it (if I were ever offered an "honorary degree" I'd turn it down, publicly, unabashedly). I can't sit there and watch a professor show off what he/she knows, answering questions I didn't have. It kills my interest flat. If I had to go to school to have sex, I'd lose interest.

My one consolation at getting started so late is that Ben Franklin didn't begin doing his scientific work until he was in his 40's.

That's me, pretty much.

It is interesting to see the range of people that frequent AAC. While I have always had an interest in the subject matter it took 4 decades to take a stab at it in a realistic manner.

Maybe we just have more time to burn these days? Or more likely, we just make more time...

:shrug:

Mark

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
My name is Mark, and I'm 63. That may seem pretty old to some of the teenagers on this board, but age is very much a relative thing. Some people are mentally and physically old in their 30s, and others are young in their 50s and 60s. I don't run every day like I used to, but I can still ski and windsurf and climb mountains and walk 20 miles in a day carrying a heavy pack, so I have no complaints.

I don't have much of an electronics background, but am interested in things electrical because I do some wiring work at home from time to time. I stumbled upon AAC when I wanted to learn about three-phase AC, and wound up looking at a lot of the other topics.

My background includes teaching the entire spectrum of mathematics at a community college (the first two years for those unfamiliar with this term) for 18 years, plus two years in a small high school before that, plus a year teaching in a university while I got my MS. I also taught most of the programming classes at my college for the last ten years I was there, including classes in BASIC, Pascal, Modula-2, C, and C++.

During that time I taught myself x86 assembly language, and serendipitously fell into helping write a book on assembly language and DOS. The book didn't make the other writer and me rich, but it was an enjoyable experience. Not long after that I left academia, and now work for a a large software company in Redmond, WA. I write documentation aimed at developers.