How old are ya..

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
My favorite example of that is this question: If you had a rope stretched around the Earth and added 3 feet to its length, how high could it then be raised uniformly from the surface?

I don't think they even teach number lines any more, much less how to set up problems and reduce them so they can be solved on a slide rule. Asking a modern student to visualize a fraction is out of the question.

John
I don't get it. Why is a slide rule uniquely qualified to solve this problem, or give insight into it?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You can do it in your head too. You can solve it with brute force on a handheld calculator with enough digits. But, if you try to do that with a slide rule, you will get the wrong answer. The only way to do it with a slide rule is to set the problem up, cancel out the Earth's circumference, i.e., reduce the problem, then solve for the loop of rope that has a circumference of 3 feet.

John

psyplant

Joined Nov 9, 2008
I'm 24 years old I got to learn electronics, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics by myself because i got involved with a project that can lead me to help making a better world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'm 24 years old I got to learn electronics, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics by myself because i got involved with a project that can lead me to help making a better world.
So why if you have such a problem with AAC are you still here?

Dave

Last edited:

HoldenC

Joined Apr 30, 2009
I started learning Electronics very late at 24, and now I´m currently 27. I live in Mexico and here it is very difficult to learn anything without knowing English. So I had to go through the process of learning English first.
I´m still living with my parents and that has allowed to dedicate myself entirely to electronics and everything related to it: Math, Physics, Programming. I love all those subjects.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, I let mine slide quietly by. Somehow, when it goes above five o it looses a lot of charm on the home front.

wr8y

Joined Sep 16, 2008
just a simple topic.. post how old are ya and how many years are you with electronics..
I'm going to start
I'm 15 and got like 5 month on electronics (started with the online AAC tutorial).

how about you guys?

Yoda
I am 49. Been earning a living in electronics since 1980 - 29 years!
I now do largely telephone (911) and computer network stuff, but am sitting here today fixing a 10 watt FM transmitter that has an audio problem.

My first ham radio license, I earned at age 14. Built a few kits and antennas, and built an RF amplifier (Class C) using two 807 tubes and a bunch of parts from old radios at age 16. It amplified my HW16's 20 watt 15 meter signal to something on the order of 90 watts.

That amp was probably the UGLIEST thing ever made, I used all used parts and the chassis was an old steel Chemistry Set case made from thin steel.

Not only was I proud of it, my Dad was as well! :cool:

Dad knew NOTHING about electricity, let alone electronics - he was my #1 fan in those days.

gbear

Joined Mar 22, 2009
I'm 59 years young. I'm an electrician by trade but now work in computer operated controls (PLC's) and energy management and instrumentation.
My hobby is learning things and building things. "I will enjoy this site"
Jim