How much is this connector can do? (volt/amp)

NVZN1

Joined Dec 17, 2016

I'm curious, i dont even know it's connector name. Usually found in Motorcycle circuits.

I'm asking :
-What name is this?
-How much amp/volt this thing can hold?

thank you :D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They look very much like a standard Molex style connector these typically are rated up to 600v AC or DC and 16gauge conductor with a maximum of 8amps.
Max.

NVZN1

Joined Dec 17, 2016
They look very much like a standard Molex style connector these typically are rated up to 600v AC or DC and 16gauge conductor with a maximum of 8amps.
Max.
it's called 3 pin molex then? Anyway This is from my DC-DC reducer (35v-70v to 12v 10A), 10Amps, and the connector only can hold 8amps?

And I work on many motorcycles and I’ve seen these things burnt to a crisp off the regulator or generator.
Got any pics? isn't those connectors are motorcycles standards?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Personally, I go by physical appearance of the size and shape of the pin and connecting wires.
I would not exceed 50V and 2A on a connector such as that, just to be safe.

I do a lot of rewiring on ebikes that run on 48V batteries. I use crimp connectors that can take 10AWG cable.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Got any pics? isn't those connectors are motorcycles standards?
IMG_0925.JPG
I do this as a hobby... it's sometimes fun working on bikes...

Found it... this is from last June... from a 2001 Ninja 750. I blame the guy for jump starting his bike with a car.. he had all sorts of problems with this bike. Poor running and idle... rebuilt carbs... no low and midrange acceleration... was due to exhaust system... I machined and welded a stainless flange and we put in nice yoshi pipe... he had fuel issues as well... in the end he has a bike that runs better than new.

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
It may be from jump starting but my experience is slowly melted housings and plating scorched off the tabs usually means a poor connection and I^2 * R heating. Bad crimps, from a cheap tool or poor workmanship can do it. Vibration can loosen the grip of the connector on the tab. 1/4" x .032" tabs from China are notorious for being made of metric gauge material which usually runs .002" - .003" thinner than the expected .032" guaranteeing a loose connection. I found this out the hard way years ago (melted relays from China) but just recently, GE fixed my microwave under warranty for the second time with a connector that looked melted just like that. I mic'd the tab for the service man and it was .029" and fit the connector loosely. It didn't hold up to the high current it carried.

If you're going to use a Molex-like connector and wonder about ratings, why not just get a real Molex connector and a decent crimp tool for it? Then you'll know.

Just my .02
Good luck!

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Upgrading connectors on a motorcycle is a double edged sword. Yes it can improve your connections in some cases but it can also make a quick part replacement something that can't be done in the wild where you might need it... or without special tools. It's pretty much done only on custom harnesses and aftermarket custom jobs... I like deutsche connections but they are pricey and again not plug and play.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009

I'm curious, i dont even know it's connector name. Usually found in Motorcycle circuits.

I'm asking :
-What name is this?
-How much amp/volt this thing can hold?

thank you :D
Seriously- www.molex.com

Ask 'em:

https://www.molex.com/molex/contact/mxcontact.jsp?channel=Contact+Us&channelId=-7

Or hunt through their catalog. Your connector is made the way it is primarily because it is exposed the elements so must be able to support reasonably high voltage, high current, in a wet environment without water getting where it shouldn't be.