Are you color blind?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If I were close enough for the cheaters to be useful, I would, in fact, be cheating.

But, the girls sure do love to watch me run in my Spandex running shorts -- worn only for practical purposes, of course.

Edit: I tried to post a photo of me, but I am surprised "old man in spandex running shorts" turns up nothing on Google. I'll have to have a talk with Sundar about that.
A search on the 'Dark Web' for "old man in spandex running shorts" will cause blindness.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
My near, medium and far vision was perfect when I was young. Then presbyopia occurred when I was about 40 so I got reading glasses for closeups. A few years later a eye test showed that near, medium and far vision was bad so I got tri-focal glasses. When I was about 60 I got cataracts so bad that I was completely blind so I got the lenses replaced with synthetic ones and surgery to re-shape astigmatism and my vision for medium and distant became perfect but I use reading glasses for closeups. There are lenses for cataracts that are focusable just like your original lenses but they failed often years ago when I had my cataracts operations so I did not select them, but they are perfected today. When I see people with glasses then I think they can't afford to get their vision fixed (my government medicare paid for part of mine) or are afraid of the minor surgery. I got my hearing fixed with modern hearing aids and my government medicare also paid for part.
I read that bulls cannot see red/green and see the motion of a matador's cape, not its red color. Some men are like bulls!

My near, medium and far vision was perfect when I was young. Then presbyopia occurred when I was about 40 so I got reading glasses for closeups. A few years later a eye test showed that near, medium and far vision was bad so I got tri-focal glasses. When I was about 60 I got cataracts so bad that I was completely blind so I got the lenses replaced with synthetic ones and surgery to re-shape astigmatism and my vision for medium and distant became perfect but I use reading glasses for closeups. There are lenses for cataracts that are focusable just like your original lenses but they failed often years ago when I had my cataracts operations so I did not select them, but they are perfected today. When I see people with glasses then I think they can't afford to get their vision fixed (my government medicare paid for part of mine) or are afraid of the minor surgery. I got my hearing fixed with modern hearing aids and my government medicare also paid for part.
I read that bulls cannot see red/green and see the motion of a matador's cape, not its red color. Some men are like bulls!
You were lucky, all I got from my health insurance was a roll of duct tape.

More seriously, yeah, there are advances, including those that you mentioned, but I note from here:

Presbyopia-correcting IOLs are not considered medically necessary by insurance companies. Medicare and private health insurance typically will pay only the cost of a basic monofocal intraocular lens and accompanying cataract surgery. Use of a more expensive, presbyopia-correcting IOL is considered an elective luxury — like LASIK and PRK, which also typically are not covered by health insurance.

And you did mention that medicare did not pay for everything. These are all important factors and, more important is that someone goes and discusses it with the ophthalmologist and the providers so that they clearly understand what is happening.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Since I am retired with a basic old age government pension and since money grows on trees then I got my vision and hearing fixed with some help from government grants.

For the surgery (2 stents) to fix the heart attack that nearly killed me I had to pay for the phone in my room for a few days. The government paid for everything else including 6 months of daily workout classes. They said I will be fine after a few months but I was fine the next day.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
There's a growing amount of software out there that maps real world colors into colors/patterns that you can discriminate. I imagine there are a lot of apps for smartphones out there by now. So I would imagine you can use your smartphone camera to view the wiring/resistors and have it display them in a way that you can distinguish them.
Just a quick thought...

I wonder if illuminating with different color LED's might help. Flashing them at different rates could help distinguish between them from each other.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
If I were close enough for the cheaters to be useful, I would, in fact, be cheating.

But, the girls sure do love to watch me run in my Spandex running shorts -- worn only for practical purposes, of course.

Edit: I tried to post a photo of me, but I am surprised "old man in spandex running shorts" turns up nothing on Google. I'll have to have a talk with Sundar about that.
Maybe he got to many complaints about the results from "old man spandex running shorts" and already knows better.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Glasses were already mentioned. I was just thinking of a crude way to help in specialized circumstances like reading resistor color codes.
I use the camera on an android phone for the close-up. Color issues can be avoided by simply using SMD parts.

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
[
An example of someone emotionally overwhelmed by seeing colors for the first time (this a typical reaction for teenagers and adults using these glasses for the first time)...

The technology

http://enchroma.com/technology/[/QUOTE]

Never seen that video before, that’s so cool. I wonder if they are just for a certain color blindness or does it cover all sorts in one set of glasses.
I must look into this, but don’t want 5 sets of glasses!!