how many milliamps can a standard pcb header hold up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

durable126

Joined Feb 20, 2016
assuming your supply can give infinite current support, how many mA can a standard header pin on a pcb handle?

100,200,300, 400?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

durable126

Joined Feb 20, 2016
If you are referring to .025" square pins, the answer is in amps rather than milliamps.
yes sir I'm talking about the standard header pins found on like a mother board used with like a JST connector.

And as long as its 300 mA or better I'm ok i just wanted to check

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
For 0.025" square pins on 0.100" centers, a safe rule of thumb is 1 A per pin. AMP (now Tyco) MTA series is rated at 3 A per pin, but not if all adjacent pins are carrying the max current. The derating is caused by adjacent circuit heating. Also, since the wire or whatever else that is part of the connection acts as a heatsink, the wire gauge and contact construction affect the rating.

ak

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Actually it is a good answer. I remember the first thing I was taught in school was to read datasheets and how to understand them.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
an impossible to 'answer' question , but here goes.
Yes most things have a spec , some where, so read a data sheet

But if its a generic part, good luck finding one of them,,

Rule of thumb.
'standard' pin,

say about an amp DC is reasonable.

If the pin is being plugged in / un plugged a lot , id de rate to say 1/2 amp.
other rules of thumb, for power have twice as many grounds as power !

Having said all that, back on the 80's, did some work on hypertac connectors reliability for a company ,
for 'a laugh; / limit check we pushed up the current.
We managed to push almost 100 amps through a pin ratted at 3 amps... !!

I'd not do that in reality but it was demonstrative ..

Brevor

Joined Apr 9, 2011
o look its the other genius!

you guys must be twins!

You both have the answer regularly!

"check the data sheet"

Why don't you both just retire or go find something else to do. Telling someone to check the data sheet is never a good answer
Think about it, checking the datasheet is the only way to find the answer, we don't have the actual pin in front of us.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
o look its the other genius!
you guys must be twins!
You both have the answer regularly!
"check the data sheet"
Why don't you both just retire or go find something else to do. Telling someone to check the data sheet is never a good answer
And I suggest you take your crappy attitude and go somewhere else with your questions.
The data sheet is almost always the first and best place to look (or the data sheet for a similar part).

Though it comes off a little flippant, the RTFM answer is important, especially in this case.

1. It's an imposition on everyone's attention to post on this list with an extremely basic question, which is such a fundamental piece of information that one doesn't even have to go to the datasheet to get it, since it's listed in the basic specs of the part in the (online) catalog entry.

2. TS then lies about it ("Don't you think if i had found the answer in a data sheet i would not be asking") in order to support further snide remarks.

3. It's a critically important engineering skill and good habit to check and verify specs in a datasheet rather than capriciously dashing off a question on a cell phone where you don't even bother to proofread a single sentence for spelling and grammar for good communication.

So keep on flaming the knowledgeable and helpful people in this group. It'll insure that you never really learn anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.