How is this added to the thread title?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And why does a poster with no history know how to do this, but I don't?

View attachment 311915
An answer to your general question -- how might a new member be able to do something you don't know how to do -- I can think of two possibilities off the top of my head:

1) The poster with no history is more familiar with the features of bulletin board software in general, and perhaps XenForo in particular, based on their experience with other forums.

2) A new member unfamiliar with how to post a thread, might simply stumble across the option because they are paying close attention to the options when creating a new thread.

That's the general answer.

For this specific question, the answer is that... I don't know. I've wondered the same thing myself and have tried to figure out how to do it and I don't see how. Assuming I'm not missing something obvious (always possible), I suspect that the new member isn't deliberately adding that marker, Instead, the forum software is somehow categorizing it and adding that marker (it's not a tag, which you can add to a thread when you create it, but which does not appear as that marker does).

FWIW, when I look at the list of posts, I do not see that marker on that particular thread. So it could be that the forum software is somehow showing it to you based on something in your profile but not showing it to others. I've noticed that those markers seem to come and go, so you might not see it the next time you list the threads.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yup. It's there. But not for all forums. And the options are different (and few) based on forum.

Never noticed before.
Ah, that probably explains why I didn't find it the two times I looked for it -- I did a trial in the Mods forum and it does have any options available. I still don't know why I didn't see it in my listing that included that thread while you do see it.

I'll have to try to find a forum that allows it (I'm guessing General Electronics Chat must) and do a trial post there -- I'm also curious what the options are to edit it (for instance, it appears that you can't edit the tags you add when you create a thread -- I don't appear to be able to do that even as a Mod).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Just did a test in Gen Elec Chat and, sure enough, you can add a prefix and edit it if you edit the first post.

Since I always list threads via Recent Posts and never list forums directly except Homework Help, I never see the thread quick start banner that is at the top of a forum list.

Learn something new all the time.

I'm assuming that the prefixes that are available for each forum are setup by the Admins.