How does a cpu represent bits physically ?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
There was no such thing as bloatware until Windows came down the pike.
and everyone should be happy (especially hardware producers) today because of that. I would estimate that a very large percentage of the reason for the advancement in personal computing technology, cpu power and memory size has been pushed by the need to make Windows run faster.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hence the name “core memory”.

And it was not just the PDP-11, pretty much all computers of that era used it.
When I was in school, Wisconsin still had a large vacuum tube computer, WISC (I saw it but never used it.)
For primary memory it used a rotating drum memory with a number of fixed heads (instead of a disk with a single moveable head per disk, as modern hard drives have).
I think the number of heads was equal to the word length of the computer (50-bits) with a 1024 word capacity.
The long word length was to maximize the functions per operation since the clock frequency was so slow (I think around 100kHz)
It operated at the blazing speed of 60 operations per second. :rolleyes:

An interesting feature was a speaker connected to a crude D/A converter driven from the instruction bus.
During normal operation the speaker would output a series of random sounding tones.
If a repetitive tone sequence was heard, it was an indication the computer was caught in an endless loop.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I learned Fortran on Xerox Sigma 7 in '69. Cardpunch, card reader, and printer. Put your card deck in the inbox with a paper wrapped around it with the billing codes and come back tomorrow to see if it ran without getting stuck in a loop. The first time I saw an Apple IIE running Visicalc I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Instantaneous feedback! Guys later were buying TRS-80s and I'd ask "Why? You can't do anything with it?". Until there were Word Processing and Math apps I had no use for one.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
may be my question was asked earlier but i want info away from logical abstractions, in different contrast. START: a transistor can represent two states on and off means 1 and 0 means 1bit.
Here's the heart of your problem -- you need to recognize that this simply isn't a true statement, but rather a gross simplification.

Transistors, by themselves, can't represent much of anything. But we can use them to build circuits that can represent digital logic values. There are many different transistor-based circuits that can be used for this purpose, each with a variety of pros and cons. In each of them, the state is represented in some fashion, such as the voltage on a capacitor, that the circuit supports by being able to write a digital value into memory (such as charge or discharge the capacitor), read the digital value from memory (such as detect whether the voltage on the capacitor is above or below a certain threshold), and maintain the digital value in memory (such as refresh the charge on the capacitor on a regular basis to compensate for leakage). How many transistors (and possibly other components) that are used to implement a bit in memory depends on what basic technology is used and what things are important and what things aren't.

so why we dont use only 32 transistors to represent a 32bit data. why there are logic gates which contains normally 2-8 transistors in each to represent 1 bit only in each gate, which commonly input 2 bits and output 1 bit.
You are confusing two very different things. Memory is storing information right now so that it can be recalled some time later. Logic gates combined input signals right now to produce an output signal right now. There is no memory aspect involved. An AND gate, for instance, takes the current state of two inputs and produces a TRUE output right now if and only if both of the current inputs represent logic TRUE values. As the inputs change, the output changes state immediately (subject to propagation delays through the circuit). This is a very different circuit than a memory element.

what type of input bits they are and why only one output then how we use that one output furthur, why we degrade 2 bit to one. END summary: I need a very lowest possible physical structure of cpu starts from a transistor to assembly, without any abstract terminologies. I read many tutorials on the web but i could nt understand. that why iam here.
First, learn how a CMOS two-input NAND gate works -- both what it does and how it does it. Then you might start working your way through the Nand-2-Tetris project (Google it).