How do you tell a capacitor is low ESR?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have a datasheet that calls for a 10uf low ESR cap. How do you tell a capacitor is low ESR? Other than measuring it that is. Is there a marking that denotes low ESR? Or is it the cap type? For example the datasheet recommends tantalum as one of the types to use.

What is considered a low ESR when measured?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
A low ESR capacitor will run cooler than a high ESR cap and as a result, will last longer. The chart above is out of date. Today's low ESR caps are down in the single digit milli-ohms.

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
If a datasheet just says 'low ESR' without specifying a value, you are usually fine with any style of capacitor with a relatively low ESR. All this really means that you should avoid cheap unrated aluminum electrolytic capacitors, since their ESR is terribly high and can be several ohms.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
When buying caps stay with name brands and buy from a electronics company cause most parts on eBay are fakes and poorly constructed.. Don't get me wrong I have alot of parts from eBay that work great but just understand the risk involved .. Do a search on mouser for low esr caps..