How Do You Take Your Whiskey?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
After our latest conversation with @MaxHeadRoom and reading this article: http://whiskyadvocate.com/2012/08/31/the-proper-way-to-drink-fine-whiskey-an-anorak-reality-check/ I am wondering how the rest of you take your whiskey, if you drink whiskey. I like Jack Daniels Tennessee sipping whiskey on the rocks. I don't always drink whiskey (now I sound like the Dos-Esquis commercial) but lately, I've been getting a snort or two every night, not doubt to fill the time I've been away from home. I used to add water until once I was staying in a motel in Crystal River, Fl and the rules for the jacuzzi didn't allow any glass in the area. And so, I just poured my JD over a little ice and headed out to the whirly pool. I've been drinking it that way ever since. Like the article says, this accomplishes two things at the same time: it cools your drink and lowers the proof, although the lowering part comes mostly at the end of the drink.

Lately, I've found a way to get a good buzz and keep it. The problem with whiskey is you drink a lot and feel nothing.. until WHAM.. it hits you all of a sudden, and it's too late to pull back. Nowadays, I get a good beer buzz, which for some reason kicks in right away, and then switch to whiskey to keep it going. Yeah, call it science. :)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
After our latest conversation with @MaxHeadRoom and reading this article: http://whiskyadvocate.com/2012/08/31/the-proper-way-to-drink-fine-whiskey-an-anorak-reality-check/ I am wondering how the rest of you take your whiskey, if you drink whiskey. I like Jack Daniels Tennessee sipping whiskey on the rocks. I don't always drink whiskey (now I sound like the Dos-Esquis commercial) but lately, I've been getting a snort or two every night, not doubt to fill the time I've been away from home. I used to add water until once I was staying in a motel in Crystal River, Fl and the rules for the jacuzzi didn't allow any glass in the area. And so, I just poured my JD over a little ice and headed out to the whirly pool. I've been drinking it that way ever since. Like the article says, this accomplishes two things at the same time: it cools your drink and lowers the proof, although the lowering part comes mostly at the end of the drink.

Lately, I've found a way to get a good buzz and keep it. The problem with whiskey is you drink a lot and feel nothing.. until WHAM.. it hits you all of a sudden, and it's too late to pull back. Nowadays, I get a good beer buzz, which for some reason kicks in right away, and then switch to whiskey to keep it going. Yeah, call it science. :)
It depends on the quality of the Whiskey... (capital W :D)

Low Q = Highball
Mid Q = On the rocks
Single Malt = Straight. In a low, fat glass. Ambient temperature.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Thanks for the drinking tips, I'm headed to Reno next week for a few days. Have to learn to pace myself with free booze but I usually drink Straight bourbon or rye (Old Fashioned) at the table..

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Wrong location! I would have to come up with an appropriate nameo_O
Max.
Ok... so you'd have to:
  • Move to Scotland
  • Get a permit
  • Develop the technology
  • Market the results in a profitable way
  • Deal with the Scottish mafia that would try to kill you
What's the big deal? :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date