How do you get a kid interested in mentally stimulating pursuits?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I believe it wasn't mentioned, so I 'l write it:

Your daughter is still at an age where she mostly copies. Try to show disapproval or disgust when faced with things you don't want her to pick up, such as brainless TV shows or bad behaviours. Don't say it to her or convey your thoughts to her; she 'll get the ploy. Just express it in an obvious way so that she can pick it up.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've been on the phone with my sister, who has a 16 y/o daughter and a 10 y/o daughter and she echoed a lot of what you have been saying. Don't try to control her interests, lead by example, control the TV quantity and quality, spend time with her, etc.

My sister is getting her one of those Leap Frog things for Christmas. It's like a nintendo with math and word games.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I think I'm going to throw my two cents in here....

What I remember from my childhood is that I was given space to do my own thing. I was given books on science and experiments(kid friendly, of course!).
My mom always asked me about the things I had learned and would ask me about how things worked. She would help me with the experiments, which was usually along the lines of rubbing a balloon on your head to make your hair stand up. I think it was this interest in what I was doing that made me continue into the scientific world.

My advice, ask them about things they are interested in as though they are an expert. Ask them questions that they can find answers to. There's nothing wrong with buying a child a science book (mine was the Usborne First Book of Knowledge, and I still have it to this day!).

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I loved my first science book!

My mum and dad bought me The Complete Visual Dictionary. It seems to have changed covers over the years:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Vi...81/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1354568280&sr=8-11

Pricey, but it has pictures of just about everything! From the solar system and the planets, to atoms, to geology, human anatomy, dinosaurs, plants, everday objects taken apart, aeroplanes, trains, art, buildings... Everything! It is just a big book of diagrams, but it makes things clear and interesting for children.

I bet you'll want to look through it just as much as your daughter! I still look at it. It is the most tattiest book in the house, spine ripped, a couple of torn and sellotaped pages, dog-eared pictures, etc... But not through gross abuse, just through the constant use of a child!

I would also say that you should remember everyone is different. I would disagree with those who say you should show disinterest or disgust in things you don't approve of. Children are rebellious! :D If you try telling a child to turn their rock music down, or whatever, you bet they'll try to turn it up! ;)

I would suggest showing interest in whatever she does (without being a vulture!). There's nothing wrong with sometimes watching crap on TV or playing with barbies - we all need downtime. You never know, you might actually get an interest from her and not the other way around!

Talking as a kid (well, I turned 18 yesterday, but I'm just a big kid. :p), so you might want to take what I say with a pinch of salt. I've not had to worry about kids of my own yet!

Overall, I'd just say be there for your kids. No matter what. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. :)