How do I use a drill motor?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by superspyn, Apr 16, 2019.

1. superspyn

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 16, 2019
    i recently got a drill and wanted to take it apart to remove the motor. How many volts do i need? Tried 12, biggest battery i have. I'm a complete noob.

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I can’t help wonder, before you dissembled the drill, what was the supply voltage?

spinnaker likes this.
  3. superspyn

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 16, 2019
    It was 120v AC, How many volts DC, would there be a difference? It is a universal motor.

4. Yaakov

Jan 27, 2019
    It will require 120V to run at it's rated specifications, though it might run slower at less. It will still be more than 1/10 the expected voltage.

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

My question would be why on earth would someone take apart a new drill.

My second question would be why would someone take apart a good 120Vdrill expecting it to some how be magically transformed to a DC motor.

And my third question., why not buy a DC motor in the first place an avoid all of the hassle?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    OBW0549 and djsfantasi like this.
  6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    So basically, dependent on the application, it is unlikely that this motor will do what you expect. Running at a DC voltage less than 120VDC will result in slower RPM and provide less torque.

@spinnaker is a wise man. Please respond to his post.

7. narkeleptk

Mar 11, 2019
  8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It will however run on 120v DC, seeing as it is a Universal motor.
    Return the drill and exchange for a portable version.
    Max.

shortbus likes this.
  9. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    Though at 120V DC it might get hot/smoke as the field winding will now only oppose the flow of current with its resistance and not its inductance. The effects of that will depend on the characteristics of the specific motor.

10. Tonyr1084

Distinguished Member

Sep 24, 2015
    I think the obvious question here is "What are you trying to accomplish?" I'm sure someone here can advise you on some pretty great ways to accomplish whatever it is you want to do with a motor.

So, what is it you are trying to accomplish?

11. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Because it is a universal motor, one that will work with both AC and DC. Brushes and a wound stator/field allow this.

12. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    You guys are forgetting what it was like being young and curious with little or no money. Remember taking things you found, were given or picked from the trash and trying to either make it work or make something with it? I do. Still do it at 71 years old.

dpresley58 and Mark Hughes like this.
  13. Tonyr1084

Distinguished Member

Sep 24, 2015
    @oldbus (@shortbus) THEY HAD ELECTRICITY WAY BACK THEN ? ? ?

Yeah, I remember doing that too. Got a reel to reel tape deck when I was 8 years old. A child's toy. As expected, it didn't last. So I took the motor out of it and the rotary switch out of it. Had an old airplane with a propeller on it. Took the propeller and mounted it to the motor. Took some styrofoam and an old garden sprinkler. Made a float out of the styrofoam and sprinkler. Mounted the motor on one end, the rotary switch and the battery pack from the deck. Without any help I figured out how to wire the switch so I could run the motor in one direction or the other with an OFF in the middle. Just so happened the "OFF" created a dynamic brake for the motor. I now had my very own airboat. At age 8 no less.

Gaud I wish I could go back and see all the silly (stupid) things I made when I was young. I have no idea how many things I've forgotten about.

shortbus likes this.
  14. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The Universal motor, being a series field motor, operates in a runaway condition due to field weakening, often running on DC will gain a few RPM due to loss of inductive reactance.
    It will now operate as a normal DC series motor.
    The current is purely dependent on load.
    Max.

shortbus likes this.
  15. Tonyr1084

Distinguished Member

Sep 24, 2015
    I'm wondering if we've scared @superspyn off.

New people are welcome here. New people are encouraged to ask questions. There ARE no dumb questions. (unless us old timers ask one). The only TRUE dumb question is the one nobody asked. And sometimes those "dumb" facts are required understanding. If you're new to electronics please stick with it. Ask anything. We'll do our best to guide you through your project. The ONLY thing we need is "As Much Information As Possible". Please, tell us what it is you want to do with this motor. I'm sure we can help.

dpresley58 likes this.
  16. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Well, now that you mention it most of my stuff was kerosene/coal oil powered.

Tonyr1084 likes this.
  17. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    cordless drill uses DC motor and already is a complete system.

Tonyr1084 likes this.
  18. Tonyr1084

Distinguished Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Once I built an Oxygen/Acetylene rocket engine. Had some thrust, but never got the chance to measure it. It worked great once, then after that it was basically a fizzled toy.

@shortbus Dude! You've only got a decade on me. Just one.

shortbus likes this.
  19. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Is this a recommendation for a replacement motor or an observation on the motor he has? Because I don’t think he has a cordless drill because it ran on 120VAC

20. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    120VAC drill will not be a cordless. but cordless drill has motor, motor control, battery etc. it would likely be good substitute.