How do I charge this sealed lead acid battery?

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
The title is pretty self explanatory, the battery says “Constant voltage charge, voltage regulation (20degreesc)” its a sealed lead acid battery 12v 7.2ah.image.jpg The second battery says constant voltage charge 20c except this one is 12v 12ah. image.jpgWhat’s the best way to charge them? Also is there any way to use this as a storage medium, because I’m making a machine that’ll use an electric scooter motor, and it doesn’t need to move anywhere so is there a way to use this and have it constantly plugged in, maybe with a smart charger? Basically can I use these and have them fully charged at all times without ever draining them fully. The only reason for this is the motor requires a shit ton of amps and only 24v which I’m not sure I can get from any wall adaptor or anything other than a massive transformer. Final question, these batteries are very old so is it worth trying to use them or just get new ones.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Lead acid batteries deteriorate quickly if they are left discharged so unless you have been keeping them charged they are probably not much use.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Is that a metric S-ton of amps?

Putting those old batteries (if they work after a charge) in series to make 24vdc will work to some extent for testing but series charging that old ball set with a 24vdc SLA smart charger even when they were new is not a good solution for long term battery life. Just get new identical ones for a proper 24vdc series string.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Is that a metric S-ton of amps?

Putting those old batteries (if they work after a charge) in series to make 24vdc will work to some extent for testing but series charging that old ball set with a 24vdc SLA smart charger even when they were new is not a good solution for long term battery life. Just get new identical ones for a proper 24vdc series string.
Got it, what’s a series string? Does that just enable me to charge multiple batteries at the same time?