How diode is passive component?

CIR.VINIT

Joined Feb 26, 2016
A passive componet is one that one that is incapable of amplification. A device needs a minimum of three terminals to do amplification.
I agree,but in active component electricity is able to control electricity.In diode forward-reverse bias characteristic is giving me an intuitive idea of electricity is able to control electricity.???

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I agree,but in active component electricity is able to control electricity.In diode forward-reverse bias characteristic is giving me an intuitive idea of electricity is able to control electricity.???
How so? Because the current through the diode is controlled by the voltage across the diode?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
ok then,so let me call it a VCD (Voltage Control Device).VCD is also an Active device.hence Diode is Active device????
By your line of reasoning, a resistor is an active device -- after all, the voltage across it controls the current through it. Or, equivalently, the current through it controls the voltage across it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It should be pointed out that there is no universally agreed upon and unambiguous definition of what constitutes and "active" versus a "passive" device. Furthermore, the definition is context-dependent and distinguish between DC and AC behavior. You can easily find lists that say a diode is active (apparently just because it is a semiconductor) and others that say it is passive.

CIR.VINIT

Joined Feb 26, 2016
By your line of reasoning, a resistor is an active device -- after all, the voltage across it controls the current through it. Or, equivalently, the current through it controls the voltage across it.
hmm,you are right sir,but my intention is not to prove a resistor a active component.I just want to know that if according to the definition of active component, active component electricity is able to control electricity.In diode forward-reverse bias characteristic is giving me an intuitive idea of electricity is able to control electricity.???or every component R,L,C Etc in some sense we control electricity is able to control electricity.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The real question is what, exactly, do you mean by "electricity is able to control electricity"?

Keep in mind that any meaning that could be used to say that a resistor (or other clearly passive device) is an active device is automatically a meaning that cannot be used to say anything about whether any device is active or passive.

CIR.VINIT

Joined Feb 26, 2016
The real question is what, exactly, do you mean by "electricity is able to control electricity"?

Keep in mind that any meaning that could be used to say that a resistor (or other clearly passive device) is an active device is automatically a meaning that cannot be used to say anything about whether any device is active or passive.
I have just started to learn about electronics,i am sorry if somewhere i interpret your answers incorrect. Truly saying,now i am totally confused what people want to say diode is active or passive?or we can't say any thing about this?and how?

i learn all this from http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-1/active-versus-passive-devices/

plz crystal-clear it.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

CIR.VINIT

Joined Feb 26, 2016
Note how this page says that a diode is a passive component, while this page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_component

says they are active.

Like I said -- no universally agreed unambiguous definition.

Personally, I say they are passive.

WHAT I CONCLUDED .....IS
Diode are Passive elements(as you guided me,wiki too, etc) but on the basis of small signal modal where small energy stored is not negligible they came into category of Locally active component called as active diode.
I feel its all depends on the way we look into the reality of nature and trying to compromise it with human made artificial definitions....

thank you.....

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Look, you know what a diode does, don't bother with arbitrary definitions that don't really help in any meaningful way.

Just accept the standard definition so other people know what you are talking about and move along.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
My definition of a passive device is one that only consumes power (attenuates the signal) and doesn't alter the signal. By this definition, a diode is definitely active, since it significantly alters the signal.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My definition of a passive device is one that only consumes power (attenuates the signal) and doesn't alter the signal. By this definition, a diode is definitely active, since it significantly alters the signal.
By that definition capacitors and inductors are also active devices.