How can we find out theoretically as well as practically ampere capacity of isolated transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKCTRAJAN

Joined Jan 6, 2016
my transformer is giving 17 vac output at secondary when primary is connected to 230 vac
how can we find out current withstanding capacity of this transformer theoretically & practically.
i want to use it for making dc power supply.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
my transformer is giving 17 vac output at secondary when primary is connected to 230 vac
how can we find out current withstanding capacity of this transformer theoretically & practically.
i want to use it for making dc power supply.
Could you send us a picture of your transformer with something well-known next to it to make some comparison?
It is difficult if you do not have the core size, primary and secondary winding wire sizes. You might have to start loading it with steadily decreasing steps of resistance, each time measuring the output voltage and calculating the percentage reduction in voltage. Also keep an eye on the temperature. I would settle for not more than 5% drop in output volts. At this stage, measure the load current. Volts times current = watts. This is crude, but safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.