How can I power an aircraft coffee maker 115v 400 hz on household power?

swaflyer

Joined Jan 31, 2015
I know very little about electronics and electricity but I recently bought an old aircraft coffee maker that runs on 115v 400 hz. I plan on making a wood box for it and using it in my house. I have seen one running off a regular outlet before (at the airline I work for) but I don't know how they converted the power. Of course I would love a cheap and easy fix. Thank you in advance for any help.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You need to look close at the nameplate data on the coffee maker. For example 115 Volt 400 Hz. XXX Watts and note the required power in watts. There are inverters out there that convert 28 VDC and 120 VAC to 115 / 120 VAC 400 Hz. but you need to know the required power. There are also likely some coffee makers which may not care about line frequency. Anyway, make, model and full nameplate data would help.

Ron

swaflyer

Joined Jan 31, 2015
You need to look close at the nameplate data on the coffee maker. For example 115 Volt 400 Hz. XXX Watts and note the required power in watts. There are inverters out there that convert 28 VDC and 120 VAC to 115 / 120 VAC 400 Hz. but you need to know the required power. There are also likely some coffee makers which may not care about line frequency. Anyway, make, model and full nameplate data would help.

Ron
Thanks for the reply Ron. I'm waiting for the coffee maker that be shipped so I will take a close look at the plate and provide additional information when it gets here.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@swaflyer

Open the bottom/back of the coffee maker and check if there is anything more than a switch and heater. If there is a transformer for any temperature sensing circuitry, then you should change the transformer to one designed for 60Hz. You will also need larger capacitors to smooth out the rectified voltage.

It is very likely to have some temperature sensing and auto-shut-off circuitry since it was designed for an airplane.