How can I make a cable splitter?

RalphF

Joined Dec 25, 2016
I'm modifying a 3D printer frame and turning it into a laser frame. The frame has two Z axis stepper motors. The controller board I want to use on this frame only has one plug for one Z axis stepper motor. I've been told I can split the single cable (it has 4 wires) and feed 4 wires into one Z stepper and 4 wires into the other Z stepper and thus have the one Z axis port control two stepper motors.

I've also been told I should split the cable so the connections are in series. What parts do I need to do this and how do I wire the splitter so the cable is in series?

Thanks...

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
We need more information.

How many wires on each stepper are connected?

Any information about the controller board available?

Where will the code from the controller board come from? How will it know how to drive these two steppers?

Maybe even more important, who told you this would work and where is he/she now?

RalphF

Joined Dec 25, 2016
I read about this when I googled how to add a second Z axis stepper.

Each stepper has 4 wires. They are Nema 17 motors. Two wires paired to each of the coils. I know how to identify the pairs with an ohm meter.

I plan to use the EleksMaker L2 controller board as my other laser machine is using that type now.

The firmware is Grbl 1.1e version. My other laser is using this firmware.

From what I have googled, others have done this successfully (according to them).

I believe I will need to wire them in parallel and adjust the driver voltage up some. I know how to adjust the voltage on the driver boards.

Thank you...

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
They will pull double the amount of current from the power supply if put in parallel and may need higher voltage to drive them if you put them in series.

Be sure you have a power supply that can handle it.

RalphF

Joined Dec 25, 2016
The EleksMaker L2 board I use drives two Y axis stepper motors now so I am hoping it will be able to drive one more Z axis stepper.

Using a multimeter, I can adjust the driver board voltage by turning a built-in pot. So I'm not 100% clear if I need to wire in series or parallel to make the voltage adjustment bump up work.

Is it this:

If wired in parallel I need to increase the voltage to compensate for now having two motors.
If wired in series I need to increase the amps.

Since I can only adjust voltage, that's the way I need to wire it so it affects the voltage.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
If wired in parallel the motors will both want full power. The supply will need to put out more current.

If wired in series, the motors will need higher voltage or else they will not reach full power operation.

Use parallel if you have enough amperage available from the supply.