How can I have a timer & switch operated car radio

iceze

Joined Oct 26, 2021
Hi guys

I've changed my car radio and lost a feature that was on the factory unit.

Normally after switching off the car, the radio will stay on for about 5mins or until the drivers door is opened and switch off at this point.

The current radio switches off immediately when the ignition is switched off.

As the unit doesn't do this, I want to design something that can replicate this.

For the timer part, could I use a timer relay like this (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000918306923.html)? but this only has a 10sec timer. I guess I would have the ignition as controller and always live on the other side.

How do I incorporate the door switch so if its on timer, it'll immediately switch off?

Or is there a better/ combination circuit I need?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

If I were doing this, the first thing I would investigate is how the OEM radio did this. Obviously, it was receiving some signal from the car concerning the state of the ignition and doors. It might be the case that you can make it operate with no additional circuitry, just the right wiring. Without more information, though, this is just surmise.

iceze

Joined Oct 26, 2021
The OEM satnav headunit may have done this by itself? It may be the Battery control module has a bit of control, possibly communicating with the headunit. With the new after market headunit this is wired to ignition and turns off as soon as you park up and turn off the ignition (button press).

As standard, if you sat in the car after you turned off ignition (but didnt open the door), the OEM headunit after 5mins would show that it would switch off to save power then totally switch off. If you opened the door at any point, it would instantly cut off.

I thought the easiest option would be through a simple circuit (not that simple maybe)

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I understand but since there was some communication with the door switches it couldn't have "done it by itself", somewhere in the wiring harness there must be a signal, or possibly, the power to the radios is not the same as the ignition.

Was this a plug and play replacement, or did you have to wire it yourself? Do you have a male/model number for the new head unit?

iceze

Joined Oct 26, 2021
Thanks for the the replies Yaakov :)

The car itself is a Nissan Qashqai 2015. The headunit is a android unit, and is plug and play, in the sense that it comes with the wiring harnesses. The unit as default seems to draw power from ignition and switches off immediately. The instructions also state you can instead splice into the 12v socket if you want the unit to stay on longer (the usb socket usually stays awake maybe 5mins). The unit is a Sinosmart unit, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001621192834.html .

The closest to a wiring diagram is at https://zinref.ru/avtomobili/Nissan/004_10_00_Nissan_QASHQAI_J11_Manual_ENGLISH/2082.htm . But I cant really make much of it. lol

I do agree that the oem unit doesnt have ignition alone. But probably that, constant 12v and door switch. I'm just not sure if the radio itself or another power control module decides when power is cut. It seems to be pretty clever as it takes into account the battery voltage and isnt based purely on a timer.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Best I can make out from the documentation, the unit has CAN bus connections, which is how I would expect the car to tell it what to do (staying on, door interaction, etc.). If that's not happening, I think I might try to use the presence of 12V on an accessory outlet, or 5V from a USB outlet that does act like you want the radio to do.

In that case, I think you will have to rewire the ACC input to the radio. The wiring diagrams show the proper lines in the connectors. How are you planning on controlling the power with some external circuit?

Also, have you checked through all the setup options in the menus? The documentation I could find doesn't show everything but there might be some options hidden in the system setup menus.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Welcome to AAC.

If I were doing this, the first thing I would investigate is how the OEM radio did this. Obviously, it was receiving some signal from the car concerning the state of the ignition and doors. It might be the case that you can make it operate with no additional circuitry, just the right wiring. Without more information, though, this is just surmise.
YA is totally correct about the time on being a function of the car electrical system. The problem seems to be that the replacement radio is connected to a different power feed. So you need to examine the vehicle wiring that went to the previous radio.