How can I go about this? Any advice is appreciated.

Abayomi Opeodu

Joined Jul 3, 2018
I love electronics and engineering as a whole. But I don't know what to build, even if I want to build I consider cost. So I won't just see circuit online and start building, I will design it first. If What can I do to combine effective design, cost and time in electronics? I don't think want the knowledge to just go like that?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

I'm not certain what you're asking...

If you want to design and build something purely for the satisfaction of doing it, cost and time should be secondary concerns.

Effective/efficient is in the eyes of the beholder. I'm retired and on a fixed income, so I choose to design/build circuits with what I have on hand (as much as possible). If you're not on a budget, your decision matrix will be different. But, if you spend too much time researching for "best" options, you may never get around to actually doing anything.

If you're starting to design (as me), cost and time will probably be overwhelming. If you're not experienced (let's say) you have to spend some time researching and deciding what components to use and why. If your goal is to design for production, then you have to carefully consider cost/effectiveness.

I think that you should first define what you want to build to see then how to combine effective design, cost and time according to that design idea. That's one of the things that will define the price or value of your design.

As @dl324 said, if you want to design and build something purely for the satisfaction of doing it, cost and time should be secondary concerns.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are so many areas of electronic control and circuitry too numerous to list here.
You need to look for some area that piques your interest and seek out the basics and circuits covered by the area defined.
Max.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I love electronics and engineering as a whole.
Welcome to the club:) (we have meetings every two hours, seven days a week;))

But I don't know what to build
Nobody else does know what song/circuit you want to make but you.

Even if I want to build I consider cost.
Makes sense.

So I won't just see circuit online and start building, I will design it first.
This is the tricky bit. I'm almost sure that 99.99% of the people here started by building other peoples circuits and then experiment with them or had to deal with an existing circuit and the started to mess with it to make sense of it.

Designing circuits in any other way than conceptually before you have built any circuits made by other people is almost a fever dream...I'm always happy to be proven wrong when pessimistic. So I would recommend you to focus on your area of interest in electronics and keep pushing it further:cool:

If What can I do to combine effective design, cost and time in electronics?
Look at what other people have already done and see if you have a better idea. The further you research those topics the better you become.

I don't think want the knowledge to just go like that?
Well who would;) (not really sure I got what you meant there...)

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you tell us how much EE knowledge( EE background) do you have and what you are interested in EE area then maybe you can get a properly answer for you.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi @Abayomi Opeodu

Your question is like asking how to plan a trip without knowing the destination. I am somewhat "goal oriented." When I re-started my electronics hobby in about 2005, I had a very definite project in mind. I did that, but it wasn't beautiful. I don't think I have ever in my life of 75 years started any project without a goal.

Sure, every project has had its sidelines (i.e., "tangents"), and I follow some of them and not others. Nevertheless, I kept and still keep my final goal in mind when I follow such leads.

In sum, what do you want to DO or MAKE?