How can i control 3 seperate buttons using a wireless remote control?

name2remember

Joined Apr 14, 2019
I want to be able to use a remote control key fob like this...
to wirelessly control 3 buttons.

I am a window cleaner using a water pump in my van to pump water to my water fed pole. To do this I'm using a speed controller which can raise the pressure of the water pump up or down and switch the pump on or off manually by using the 3 buttons.

After some research I think it's possible (though please correct me if I'm wrong) that I could wirelessly control this speed controller using a wireless 3 channel remote receiver like pictured above.

How would I go about wiring up this receiver so they act like the 3 buttons on the speed controller? Is it as simple as connecting 2 wires to each button and then the 2 power wires from my battery to the reciever?

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
No, it is not that simple.
You have to reverse engineer the pump controller circuitry in order to find out how the buttons are wired.

One method which would work is to wire the switch contacts of a reed relay across the pushbutton leads.
Now you need a circuit driven from the radio receiver that will activate the reed relay winding.

name2remember

Joined Apr 14, 2019
One method which would work is to wire the switch contacts of a reed relay across the pushbutton leads.
Now you need a circuit driven from the radio receiver that will activate the reed relay winding.
Sorry I'm a beginner and struggling to understand what you mean. To me what your explaining sounds like what I was trying to explain about attaching 2 wires from a relay to either side of the switch button?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The 1000Wx3 controller that you have shown is for controlling AC powered lighting.
It is anyone's guess if this would work controlling 240VAC relays.

I would look for low power relay controllers instead.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you can figure out how the buttons are wired on the pump controller there is a chance that something like this might work.
It does not supply switch contacts. It supplies low voltage outputs. You could wire three reed relays in between the outputs and your push buttons.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1096

name2remember

Joined Apr 14, 2019
The 1000Wx3 controller that you have shown is for controlling AC powered lighting.
Ah yes my bad. There are similar ones on ebay that are for 12v DC instead.

I've played around with a raspberry pi before so I think I understand how that receiver board might work. I've made a quick diagram below.

Would it work something like that? I know the output pins going to relay are wrong I'd have to learn how they work but is the basic concept right?