How are IA Led strips adressed?

boowho

Joined Feb 13, 2022
I have a decorative led strip(s) laid out in an unusual manner. A four foot piece with the controller connection on one end; the other end is connected to a round circuit board from which nine 18 inch strips are attached in a circle; sorta like spoke in a wagon wheel.

How can I determine which light (on the spoke parts) will light and in what order. My understanding is that on a straight strip the lights are addressed sequentially starting with light(0) nearest the controller and light(1) would be the second from the controller, ect.

Any thoughts/advice/help will be appreci

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

To have some hope of helping you, we need more information.

What are the actual LED part numbers on the strips?
What are you addressing them with?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
If they are WS2812, then they are not really addressable. You have to update all the LEDs in the strip up to the one you want to change. The first 24 bits go to the one nearest the controller, then each sucessive 24 bits goes the next one. They all change at once when you stop sending data.

Bob

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
If that center board has any chips on it, the spokes could be multiplexed addressable strings. This would still be possible with no chips on the center board, but would require quite a few lines from the controller. (relatively 11? or 20 with 2 line LEDs)

boowho

Joined Feb 13, 2022
If they are WS2812, then they are not really addressable. You have to update all the LEDs in the strip up to the one you want to change. The first 24 bits go to the one nearest the controller, then each sucessive 24 bits goes the next one. They all change at once when you stop sending data.

Bob

I believe they are 2812. This looks interesting : https://randomnerdtutorials.com/node-red-with-ws2812b-addressable-rgb-led-strip/

I think that the project needs 2812B however.

If I could use the components and R Pi code I could modify the python code to just light the individual lights in sequence and see what happened when it finished the four foot strip.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Yep, that seems reasonable. It is possible all the spokes are connected in parallel so they will light at the same time. I used that technique fir a flux capacitor prop.

Bob

boowho

Joined Feb 13, 2022
Yep, that seems reasonable. It is possible all the spokes are connected in parallel so they will light at the same time. I used that technique fir a flux capacitor prop.

Bob
Yes could indeed be parallel since all 9 segments all display the same contents when they activate. In fact, I'll bet that is the case.

Thanks