How and where do you write technical notes for long retention and long-term use?

TarikElec

Joined Oct 17, 2019
Hello guys,
So, As you may see on the title. I was always get lost when I need to recall a concept or an understanding of a technical concepts or formulas that I have learned before but completely forget.
Those concepts, I had to read about them a bit longer to understand them but after sometimes I forgot them, and then I need to read again which is a waste of time somehow instead of progressing or doing the projects that requires I understood those things.
How do you take your notes for future use, and where do you write them? Is it OneNote or handwriting of notebook? Any tips and tricks you use to not lose your acquired knowledge and experience over years?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The problem with notebooks (I use them) is remembering where to look. Colored stick-on tabs help for oft used info. It's almost as bad saving links on the computer (I also use) but better than notebooks since I can use a search function. I also use colored tabs on often used information in books but once again you have to remember which book has it. Sorry, no easy answer as I use multiple ways and none are perfect for me. I do believe writing information down helps in learning it but where the heck is it and which notebook is it in...

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I keep all my information on my computers. There is one folder called "My Circuits" which contains sub-folders of different types of applications. e.g. Audio, Bluetooth, ...etc. Each one of these contains information on any projects I have built, including the research information I used. It is duplicated on my three networked desktop computers and my laptop and It is backed up frequently on a USB hard drive. Periodically it is copied onto DVD and archived. The data is simple to navigate and information is always available to me very quickly.
I smetimes use notebooks for temporary storage of notes and data but I copy anything useful to my data system.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I keep all my information on my computers. There is one folder called "My Circuits" which contains sub-folders of different types of applications. e.g. Audio, Bluetooth, ...etc. Each one of these contains information on any projects I have built, including the research information I used. It is duplicated on my three networked desktop computers and my laptop and It is backed up frequently on a USB hard drive. Periodically it is copied onto DVD and archived. The data is simple to navigate and information is always available to me very quickly.
I smetimes use notebooks for temporary storage of notes and data but I copy anything useful to my data system.
Sounds like a smart system.
I have about two dozen notebooks. I have never gotten around to computerizing my notes except for all my electronics inventory.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I use Evernote. It’s got a subscription model, but I find it worth the price and I have used it for years. It is cross platform, so all my content is available on my desktops (MacOS, Linux, Windows) and on my iPads and iPhone.

I can keep images, PDFs, documents (any type), and my own notes organized in “notebooks”. It has some task-related features as well. In general, though it is not perfect, it is the best I have found especially because of the cross-platfrom support which is important to me.

On my iPads I use Penultimate, which is owned by Evernote so has integration. It is an app for taking handwritten notes, including drawings. It’s very extensive and well written. With the Apple Pencil, it is a workable solution for handwritten notes on the iPad.

There are so many options for note taking apps that I had to just stop looking a pick a lane. Evernote+Penultimate works for me so I can recommend it. Keep in mind every one of the notes apps have strengths and weaknesses, so it is necessarily a compromise. It’s best to try them out and see if they fit your workflow and style.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Options to consider could be a searchable .pdf ; a document writer program like LibreOfficeWriter or more than one that allows including images; stored printed, in a CD, and in the cloud. Sometimes I send as email to myself as a simple 'cloud' method.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
One of the problems I've had using links is that they tend to disappear over time. So better to download the information and file it than depend on it still being there years later... I use a lot of PDFs and MS Win 10's Edge browser has a nice PDF Reader/Editor built in to highlight and add my notes to PDFs. Only problem is keeping up with RAW and UPDATED versions of the PDF.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Just post your notes here on AAC in the proper subforum. Use engaging prose and make it interesting and informative for others to read. Then use the search function to find them later (you can filter by your member name).

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
I save all my files into Dropbox. They are then location to my computers and in the cloud. Save something on one computer, and the updated file is available on the other computer soon. Also on my phone. You don't have to "do anything" for this to happen beyond saving your files in a particular folder.

You can log into your account from any computer if a sudden need or inspiration hits.

If you log into your account, you can also recover previous versions or rollback files.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For project notes that nobody else needs to see I had used markups and notes on drawing copies in my file drawers. The benefit was that they were not subject to purging by those who saw no need for them. That feature alone made it well worth the effort. Perhaps I have worked for some worse managers than others, that is unknown.
But the apparent rule is that upon gaining an MBA it appears that many lose all long term reasoning ability for details not financial . Is that universal, or have I just been in the wrong places at the wrong times??

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Whatever system you choose to store your notes, whether is SW or HW (paper), have a plan for quick retrieval of specific information. Otherwise, you may have saved every note possible, but you'll find its practically impossible to find it. :D

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I use Wikidpad to keep text notes and web links in a Wiki format. It's searchable. And a hierarchy of subdirectories for pdfs and jpgs and software or firmware.

Last edited:

TarikElec

Joined Oct 17, 2019
One of the problems I've had using links is that they tend to disappear over time. So better to download the information and file it than depend on it still being there years later... I use a lot of PDFs and MS Win 10's Edge browser has a nice PDF Reader/Editor built in to highlight and add my notes to PDFs. Only problem is keeping up with RAW and UPDATED versions of the PDF.
oh I did not think of this and it happend many times to me as well

TarikElec

Joined Oct 17, 2019
Whatever system you choose to store your notes, whether is SW or HW (paper), have a plan for quick retrieval of specific information. Otherwise, you may have saved every note possible, but you'll find its practically impossible to find it. :D
agreed. which system are you suing for example?

TarikElec

Joined Oct 17, 2019
I save all my files into Dropbox. They are then location to my computers and in the cloud. Save something on one computer, and the updated file is available on the other computer soon. Also on my phone. You don't have to "do anything" for this to happen beyond saving your files in a particular folder.

You can log into your account from any computer if a sudden need or inspiration hits.

If you log into your account, you can also recover previous versions or rollback files.
I am starting using google drive as it seems cheaper and enough for the moment