how a computer/phone detect a headphone is connected

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi teams

I am quite interested on how a computer/phone detect a headphone is connected? With resistance or something?

For example, every time I connect my headphone, this pop up. My computer know where my headphone is connected to.

Capture.PNG

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
There will be a set of contacts on the 3.5mm jack socket. (Just like the contacts on the headphone socket of a radio that disconnect the internal speaker when the headphones are plugged in.) It is possible that they could detect the resistance of the headphones. If you plug in a 3.5mm jack plug with nothing connected to it that will tell you which method is used.

Les.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
There will be a set of contacts on the 3.5mm jack socket. (Just like the contacts on the headphone socket of a radio that disconnect the internal speaker when the headphones are plugged in.) It is possible that they could detect the resistance of the headphones. If you plug in a 3.5mm jack plug with nothing connected to it that will tell you which method is used.

Les.
Ahh, I totally forgot about those contacts! Silly me. Sometimes when you are a hammer, you see everything is a nail lol.