homemade compressor

96y

Joined May 8, 2019
I was wondering if I could build a hi quality tube compressor for recording acoustic instruments..?
I would need some pre assembled components probably. And some solid direction. It could be very large...
must be a no hum design.It would be an interesting challenge to build a decent one.
Anyone here ever do one??

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
You won't have any trouble finding schematics for tube compressors if you use Google. Look for designs that don't use arcane, hard-to-find tubes. Input and output transformer coupling will reduce hum, so will running the heater filaments on a regulated DC supply instead of the usual AC transformer tap.

If none of that makes any sense to you, you should start with a simpler project. Tubes run at low currents, but high voltages and you can really give yourself a mother of a shock poking around with them if you don't know what you're doing.

96y

Joined May 8, 2019
I guess it doesnt have to have tubes.....but I need a step by step with the components...once I do 1 I will remember forever the process...I would also like to try an analog overdrive circuit for guitars..