Hobbyist looking for some help! --LEDs on gameboard

Shadespire

Joined Jul 18, 2020
Hello!

New to all of this. VERY new. I'm very overwhelmed with searching with no base knowledge. All I have is this idea!

I really want to incorporate LEDs in to a game board I'm planning to build.

I'm trying to create a single power source with 16 on/off switches, each of which controls a string of 12 LED lights.

Is it possible to connect with someone to put together a map and parts list? I have a local shop that would have all the parts needed and I would be comfortable building it.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Shadespire

Joined Jul 18, 2020
That's it - the whole set up is to illuminate a game board with one of those 16 switches representing different starting positions. The photo below is one of the board options to choose from - so each of those white skulls would be an LED

So really, only one of those 16 lines needs to be illuminated at a time

Attachments

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
This is a very simple project but a little more information is needed before we can put values on power sources and current limiting resistors.
What type and colour of LEDs are you planning on using? Different coloured LEDs have different forward voltages and different types of LEDs require different currents..
What do you have available for a power source, battery or mains?
Keith

Shadespire

Joined Jul 18, 2020
Hello,

This community is great, Thank you for the replies and willingness to try to understand the ramblings of someone so uninformed.

Ideally battery supplied.

There are 16 different board options so each LED string would illuminate the markers on one specific board.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/boards.php

At a minimum, each has 7 starting points which would be in a soft white LED. Then each board would have the additoinal (BW - Bright White, R-Red)

1 - 0
2 - 2 BW, 1 R
3 - 3 BW
4 - 1 R
5 - 1 BW 3R
6 - 2 BW 1R
7 - 0
8 - 2 BW 2R
9 - 3 BW
10 - 3R
11 - 0
12 - 3 BW
13 - 0
14 - 3 BW
15 - 3R
16 - 2BW 1R

Shadespire

Joined Jul 18, 2020
Welcome to AAC!
How are the strings of LEDs to be selected? Manually closing switches, some fixed pattern, a random pattern, etc?

I have so many questions...
If i could have something like a slider switch would be ideal - like position 1-16, otherwise individual on/off switches are fine.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If i could have something like a slider switch would be ideal - like position 1-16, otherwise individual on/off switches are fine.
  1. What event causes a certain string of LEDs to need to be turned on?
  2. How long do the strings stay on?
  3. Is there a single pattern? Or is it random?
  4. What is the battery voltage?
  5. What is the forward voltage of the LEDs?
  6. 0 means no LEDs in a string?
  7. In the original post, you said each switch controls a string of 16 LEDs. Post 6 doesn't show that.
  8. What is the maximum ambient brightness where the game will be played (e.g. ever outdoors in bright light)?
  9. Would you ever want to control brightness?
  10. The LEDs are going to be mounted on/in a game board? Will all of the LEDs in a string be next to each other? Or spread out?
It would be helpful if you tried to anticipate our questions so this will be less like a game of 20 questions.

Shadespire

Joined Jul 18, 2020
  1. What event causes a certain string of LEDs to need to be turned on?
  2. How long do the strings stay on?
  3. Is there a single pattern? Or is it random?
  4. What is the battery voltage?
  5. What is the forward voltage of the LEDs?
  6. 0 means no LEDs in a string?
  7. In the original post, you said each switch controls a string of 16 LEDs. Post 6 doesn't show that.
  8. What is the maximum ambient brightness where the game will be played (e.g. ever outdoors in bright light)?
  9. Would you ever want to control brightness?
  10. The LEDs are going to be mounted on/in a game board? Will all of the LEDs in a string be next to each other? Or spread out?
It would be helpful if you tried to anticipate our questions so this will be less like a game of 20 questions.
THANK YOU!!!!

1. What event causes a certain string of LEDs to need to be turned on? - user control, when a board is selected, it will then be switched on and illuminated
  2. How long do the strings stay on? 2-3 hours
  3. Is there a single pattern? Or is it random? - single pattern -each string represents one board so would be full user control
  4. What is the battery voltage? - no clue
  5. What is the forward voltage of the LEDs? - also, no clue
  6. 0 means no LEDs in a string? - means no extra, each string has a minimum of 7
  7. In the original post, you said each switch controls a string of 16 LEDs. Post 6 doesn't show that. - the on off function of each string can be flexible pending ease of design and build - just need a way to control each individual string independently (but no more than 1 would ever need to be on at a time)
  8. What is the maximum ambient brightness where the game will be played (e.g. ever outdoors in bright light)? - in doors, they're just markers so dont need to be too bright
  9. Would you ever want to control brightness? - no, uneventful to the game and seems unnecessarily complicated for no value add. .
  10. The LEDs are going to be mounted on/in a game board? Will all of the LEDs in a string be next to each other? Or spread out? they will be mounted to a board, the board itself will have between 2-4 inches between LEDs

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What event causes a certain string of LEDs to need to be turned on? - user control, when a board is selected, it will then be switched on and illuminated
How large are the boards? How much area will they cover? Does each player control any of the LEDs? Or is there a single player with control?
How long do the strings stay on? 2-3 hours
Do you want to operate with batteries or an AC adapter?
Is there a single pattern? Or is it random? - single pattern -each string represents one board so would be full user control
Can the boards be illuminated at random?
What is the battery voltage? - no clue
What is your preference? This will determine how many LEDs can be in series.
What is the forward voltage of the LEDs? - also, no clue
We can use typical voltages initially.
0 means no LEDs in a string? - means no extra, each string has a minimum of 7
Sorry, missed that.
In the original post, you said each switch controls a string of 16 LEDs. Post 6 doesn't show that. - the on off function of each string can be flexible pending ease of design and build - just need a way to control each individual string independently (but no more than 1 would ever need to be on at a time)
What is the maximum ambient brightness where the game will be played (e.g. ever outdoors in bright light)? - in doors, they're just markers so dont need to be too bright
Would you ever want to control brightness? - no, uneventful to the game and seems unnecessarily complicated for no value add. .
That simplifies drive circuitry.
The LEDs are going to be mounted on/in a game board? Will all of the LEDs in a string be next to each other? Or spread out? they will be mounted to a board, the board itself will have between 2-4 inches between LEDs
Can you show us a mock up of how the boards will be placed and how you want the LEDs placed on them (including color)?

Do you have a preference for LED size or shape?

Shadespire

Joined Jul 18, 2020
How large are the boards? How much area will they cover? Does each player control any of the LEDs? Or is there a single player with control?
- Board size is 27 cm x 40 cm
- Each player selects their 'map' (pic below) then illuminates the board - the example here would be the basic 7 minimum needed (as shown by the skull markers) and then the 3 with edge in bold lines would show the bright white LEDs - the light does not need to form a border, just an indicator on the hex itself.

Battery operated is ideal for transport (play at friends, local hobby shops)

The boards would never be illuminated at random (if need be, we could roll a 16 sided die)

I dont understand enough (sorry) to have a voltage preference, typical voltages seem ideal to simplify and minimize cost

LED size is not crucital - (3.2/5mm??), they're just indicators, as long as they have a flat top to integrate with the build of board itself and keep a level playing surface.

Again, a million thank yous!

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Might consider using 6 rechargeable Ni-M-H batteries in series for about 7V. LEDs in combination of 2 in series & singles. With low current, 5 mA, then might be 17- 2s & 7 singles; high current,15 mA, 12- 2s & 12 singles. Next choice would be 12V. I started to see which had lowest power demand but seems there is not enough difference to care. Still not sure what the game is all about.