HMI for my MCU system

drvlas

Joined Oct 16, 2015
Hi everybody!
I need a simple device as a Human Machine Interface to work with my embedded micro-controller. I call the latter "uPLC", it's a single-board controller based on Texas Instruments MSP430 chip:
HMI <-------------Modbus--------------> uPLC​

The uPLC uses RTU Modbus on the RS-485 serial line. The HMI device has to communicate via Modbus. It must display some listed test messages and, mostly, the numeric values of the uPLC variables.
So, the 1-st point: display alphanumerics (small and big symbols would be great)
Next. The user must be able to enter "button" commands (RUN/STOP/etc) and to edit the values of uPLC variables. Touch-screen is a must, not a single physical key!
And the last: a couple of digital input-outputs are heartily welcomed.

Till now I used HMI similar to SH300. And, basically, my new device is the same. But I want to use a touch-screen, to add digital I/O and to be free in program implementation.
What is my today's view: I see it as a 3" to 5" (maybe monochrome, maybe alphanumeric, but various fonts are needed) touch-screen which I can frame in an IP54 panel. I think that it's quite sensible to control the screen with some Arduino-like board. The I2C or SPI link between the screen and Adru would be appropriate.
And - yes, the price matters. Not drastically, but I'd like to pay only for the needed features.

If anybody has a general comment - you are welcome! But the main question for me is well-known, simple in use touch-screen module. I'm just lost in the variety of them :)
Thanks in advance!
Yury